Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Problem with my s14???

Old 06-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Previously Odyssey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime
Default Problem with my s14???

So I bought a 97-98 KA24DE and was going to swap it into my car this weekend.

I had taken off the tranny, pressure plate, clutch, flywheel so I could put the engine on a stand so it would be easier to take off the intake manifold since the new one is a 97-98 and mine is a 95-96....I started taking my engine/tranny out Friday night..Everything was going smoothly all day Saturday.

Got my engine out,,,swapped the intake manifolds ... Put everything back on.. The flywheel, clutch (yes I used an alignment tool), pressure plate.. All the grounds / connectors / fluids. alternator, clutch slave cylinder, P-steering pump.....

Start it up. everything is A-okay.....Then I decide to put the car in gear while on the jack stands just to make sure EVERYTHING was working..
I AM LOCKED OUT OF EVERY GEAR WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING.

I know it is some what of a long read.....But WHAT COULD BE WRONG?

I was thinking somehow the slave cylinder blew out..But I do not think anyone depressed the pedal after I took it off.

Could something be wrong with the throw out bearing?

The clutch is a used but has like 600 miles on it and looked brand new. I am 80% sure I put it on the correct way. Could putting it on backwards cause this scenario?
Old 06-14-2008, 11:42 PM
miss my 2 wheels

brokemyR1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Problem with my s14???

just curious? did you check all the lines for the clutch(master and slave cylinders) and bleed the system?

also, you can put a clutch disc on backwards, but I wouldn't see that locking you out completely. only other thing would be to pull it apart and check over everything again(as much as that sucks).
Old 06-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt

so you could shift gears while the car was off?

are you sure the pressure plate is being pressed down completely by the throwout bearing? id check your transmission and all the lines going to it... definitely not a clutch being put on backwards...
Old 06-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Previously Odyssey

Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime

All the lines are fine..I bled the system.

Yes I could shift into gears when it was off. But was locked out when running.
I am not sure if the throw out bearing was doing its job fully, but I was able to put it into gears earlier this morning..

Then it made this really loud high pitch screeching / squealing sound as I was putting the trans into gear. It would make the sound until I let the clutch out to drive. When I went to depress the clutch to shift, it would make that noise again...

But after about 25-30 minutes of it doing this, it stopped.

Everything seems to be fine now. Clutch engages fine. there is no more noise other than my exhaust leak lols