Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

LSD for S14/240sx question. for everyone especiall s14 driviers.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince
Default LSD for S14/240sx question. for everyone especiall s14 driviers.

I am shopping for a LSD right now. I'm not going to be doing alot of drifting mainly cause I don't have time for practice. If anything, I'll be doing road race/ autocross.

I think I have made a close decision on a clutch style 1.5 way LSD. I was looking into Kaaz, Nismo.

my other choice would be a quaife. I have heard that a quaife isn't ideal for drifting although there are people using them.

now I have searched for hours on zilvia and FA and still not sure what I want. I don't think I can daily drive a 2 way so that might just be totally out of the question.

my question is what is a good daily driver. I think I'm gonna pass on the VLSD for now, although i don't know how it feels to drive with one. I don't want to get the VLSD and find out later I want a sooner engagement.

now what does everyone think?

eng, greaser, s14kat, brassmnky...and all others. =)
Old 03-02-2004, 05:38 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts
Default Re: LSD for S14/240sx question. for everyone especiall s14 driviers.

I'd say don't go with the VLSD as well, they get overheated and turn into an open diff. Kaaz's website is helpful: http://www.kaazusa.com/faq.asp
Old 03-02-2004, 05:40 AM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

2way vs 1.5way determines the lines you can take in a road course, it makes little to no difference in daily driving. What does make a difference is getting a clutch type vs a mechanical. A clutch type is VERY loud. It sounds like something is breaking when you make small radius turns especially at slow speeds. I love it, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. In general I recommend mechanicals. They don't require rebuilding and are much quieter and work basically the same as a clutch type not to mention if you get the Quaife it has a lifetime warrenty even in race use which you can't beat with a stick.

If you weren't in CA I'd give you a ride and you could see how noisy it is for yourself.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:45 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

If you can deal with the LOUD ASS CLUNKING of the kaaz or any other clutch pack LSD then they are the best. I couldnt for my daily car, so i had to get a quaiffe. LIFETIME warranty UNDER RACING CONDITIONS. never has to be rebuilt. AND you can put it into an open diff without changing side shafts.

quiffe is the best out there. I never noticed anything but full locking on mine in the race car, didnt even know it was there till i needed it.

i HIGHLY recomend the quaiffe. I've had the kaaz, factory vsld, and quaiffe.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:02 AM
eng
Administrator

Originally Posted by Greaser
AND you can put it into an open diff without changing side shafts.
You can do that with the new KAAZs
Old 03-02-2004, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince

thanks guys. I knew i can count on you two especially for som good info. zilvia and FA just gave me facts.

I wanted a quaiffe from the beginngin but people kept reading it was garbage. blah blah.

thanks again.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:32 AM
eng
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ultraprince
I wanted a quaiffe from the beginngin but people kept reading it was garbage.
Yeah, that's just stupid. It's a good LSD, even more so if you're a baby like Derek and don't like clutch chatter

That said I wouldn't give my KAAZ up for anything ... except for maybe an ATS Carbon
Old 03-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Mr. K's chauffeur

Brssmnky is an unknown quantity at this point

you can sometimes find a tomei lsd cheaper than the kaaz, and it's the exact same unit (the tomei unit is made by kaaz). it can be used in an open diff without changing side shafts as well.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by eng
Yeah, that's just stupid. It's a good LSD, even more so if you're a baby like Derek and don't like clutch chatter

That said I wouldn't give my KAAZ up for anything ... except for maybe an ATS Carbon

I can take the clunking. but its the tire chirping i can't get with. do you have that problem?
and i can only assume this will cause premature tire wear. correct?
Old 03-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

tire clunking is there yes, as well as chassis upset in the beginning/exit of turns under power. the setup goes from a loose rear to a locked rear and upsets the chassis and makes it bounce. i HATED it once i started autoxing and road racing. caused understeer at the limit, then snapped oversteer.

or maybe i cant drive.....or maybe i needed a spool (full time locked). with suspension adjustments to deal with a spool.

anyways, i dont want to think about it anymore, i think you will like any of the systems.

Quick Reply: LSD for S14/240sx question. for everyone especiall s14 driviers.