Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

D17 help - VTEC head on non-VTEC block?

Old 07-01-2010, 02:19 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of
Default D17 help - VTEC head on non-VTEC block?

I have had a 02 civic DX 4 door with a shredded timing belt fall into my possession. It has 3 bent intake valves, so I was planning on slapping another head on. The car is a non-vtec motor, however I have found a good deal on a VTEC head for it. The head is from a D17 VTEC, the block is a non-VTEC D17. I don't care about adding the VTEC or anything like that. I just want to make the car run properly with no VTEC as it did before, so I can sell it. Can I swap this VTEC head on, and if so what tricks are needed if any, to make it work?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:15 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of
Default Re: D17 help - VTEC head on non-VTEC block?

oh come on of all the honda people on this damn site, I know someone knows the god damned answer to this.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Banned

dvgleyzer is an unknown quantity at this point

u can obviously put a vtec head on. never heard of a mini me swap? or ls vtec?lol.n00b
Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 PM
CPL Us Army

jpick_aap_cpp has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dvgleyzer
u can obviously put a vtec head on. never heard of a mini me swap? or ls vtec?lol.n00b
No need to be a dipshit. Obviously if he had heard of a miniME swap he wouldnt of asked such a question. Soo your lack of information was just no needed or wanted. And IF you can read he def. stated '02 civic w/ D17 which IS NOT A B SERIES MOTOR doh! so whats the reasoning behind you post?

BTW.

Dave: D17a2 head will work just fine.
Yup, swap in an EX ECU, and either swap in an EX engine harness or run wires for both the VTEC solenoid and oil pressure switch. As long as you are an 02 (maybe 03) or newer LX, you should already have an EGR setup (the 2001s did not). The trick with this one is that you have to get the key flashed to match the new ECU. Basically do, the swap, drive to the dealer in limp mode with the LX ECU installed and the EX ECU with you. Prove that you own the vehicle, pay the dealer $80 to match the new ECU to your key and drive away
hope that helps a little bit.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:38 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

Originally Posted by dvgleyzer
Yes, I heard of those, I was messing with them 10 years ago, when you were just starting to learn to read.

10 years later, I see you still haven't finished learning to read.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:43 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

Originally Posted by jpick_aap_cpp
No need to be a dipshit. Obviously if he had heard of a miniME swap he wouldnt of asked such a question. Soo your lack of information was just no needed or wanted. And IF you can read he def. stated '02 civic w/ D17 which IS NOT A B SERIES MOTOR doh! so whats the reasoning behind you post?

BTW.

Dave: D17a2 head will work just fine.

hope that helps a little bit.
Thanks Pick, I actually did find out the answer back when I originally posted this, picked up a VTEC head for $50, then decided to just fix the valves in the original head since it was in a little better shape.

Car has been shoved in the corner for a while though while I took care of other things (last minute rush to try and get my red car to the shootout), but will probably be getting back to it in the next week or two, need to get it done so I can sell it.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:43 PM
CPL Us Army

jpick_aap_cpp has disabled reputation

good deal dave, let me know if theres anything i can do to help ya with parts or whatever
Old 08-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

5literbeater has disabled reputation

frankenmotor