Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

b16 head on a grs block 1.8???? whats involved and is it better than ls/vtec?

Old 01-13-2005, 06:47 AM
time for a change

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SmallBlock_DC2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default b16 head on a grs block 1.8???? whats involved and is it better than ls/vtec?

whats more reliable ls/vtec or b16 head on a gsr block?

whats more powerful and quicker?

whats involved with building the "poor mans type r(b16 head/gsr block)"
Old 01-13-2005, 07:14 AM
Banned

LSturboEH2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: b16 head on a grs block 1.8???? whats involved and is it better than ls/vtec?

this is a poormans type r. the b16 head flows 8% better from the flow chart i saw (stock). but u are lowering the compression opposed to the gsr head

basically whats involved is u take a gsr head off, get new gsr headbolts or studs (i dont reccomend reusing headbolts) put the b16 head on with a new gsr head gasket. stuff some ctr or itr cams in it, get an itr tranny, and u have a poormans hype r.

its alot more reliable than a thrown together ls/vtec, but a proprer ls/vtec ehhh id still reccomend a poormans. powerwise with the ctr cams, itr tranny, i read a guy was running low 13s all motor in a vx hatch. but im not sure what an ls/vtec would do with the same mods (and properly built).

go with the poormans type r.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:17 AM
time for a change

Default Re: b16 head on a grs block 1.8???? whats involved and is it better than ls/vtec?

no tapping the block or anythng, basically a new gsr head gasket and arp head studs should hold it together?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:20 AM
Banned

LSturboEH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

yep
Old 01-13-2005, 07:24 AM
time for a change

and what about the sandwich adapters and the ls/vtec kit? not needed?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:30 AM
All-Motor Street Car

JayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond repute

You do not need the sandwich adapter or the LS/VTEC kit if your just putting the b16 head on the GSR block.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:38 AM
time for a change

Originally Posted by JayDM
You do not need the sandwich adapter or the LS/VTEC kit if your just putting the b16 head on the GSR block.
what would your advice be? ls/vtec with eagle rods and arp rod bolts, b16 pistons, or a stock b16 head on a stock gsr block with gsr computer?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:45 AM
All-Motor Street Car

JayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond repute

I would go with the LS block/crank, eagle rods with rod bolts, and a B16 head. Shoot me a pm with your phone number and I'll help you out.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:08 AM
AC-UR-AGE

marshallbc will become famous soon enough

I have a B16 head with crower stage 2 cams springs retainers and valves. With GSR block with JE pistons high comp pistons and crank. ITR trans Clutch masters stage 2. With a skunk2 ECU I put 197hp to the wheels. Had it dyno at Inline pro.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:09 AM
time for a change

Originally Posted by marshallbc
I have a B16 head with crower stage 2 cams springs retainers and valves. With GSR block with JE pistons high comp pistons and crank. ITR trans Clutch masters stage 2. With a skunk2 ECU I put 197hp to the wheels. Had it dyno at Inline pro.
sounds nice as shit

Quick Reply: b16 head on a grs block 1.8???? whats involved and is it better than ls/vtec?