Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Ticking once warm

Old 07-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Custom User Title

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mnchvgs79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ticking once warm

I think I know what it is, but I wanted to get some others opinions. My RC51 has 1600 miles on it and runs perfectly, however once it warms up (about 150* or so) it starts to get a slight tick, it sounds like maybe I just need to pull the heads and adjust the valve clearance. At about 700 miles I changed the oil and put Mobile 1 10w50 in and about half a quart of that lucas oil stabilizer stuff, just because I had it in the garage. What do you think? Run a different oil? Adjust the valves? ride and forget about it?
Old 07-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

lYellowDragonl has disabled reputation
Default Re: Ticking once warm

eh aint yours something like the vtwin? mine ticks... suzuki said its normal.... but yours a honda so i dont know i have the sv650s k5
Old 07-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by lYellowDragonl
eh aint yours something like the vtwin? mine ticks... suzuki said its normal.... but yours a honda so i dont know i have the sv650s k5

Yeah its a 1000cc Twin. Like I said it doesnt really sound like anything bad, its just a faint ticking once the bike warms up that is noticable in the resonanace of the helmet.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

lYellowDragonl has disabled reputation

eh mine ticks off and on... i never really cared... i mean it runs strong and the same with it and without...
Old 07-06-2005, 10:03 PM
A.K.A Slowintegra92

VADA9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

sometimes people with afteramrket exhaest mistake a small leak at the header for a valve tick.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of

could b an exhaust leak or it might b valve clearance also i used to have three keys on my keychain and the key vibrating on the crosspiece would tick.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:39 AM
Custom User Title

Its definately an engine tick, no doubt in my mind. Like Yellowdragon said, its really no big deal, it doesnt effect how the bike runs or anything, its just slightly annoying that the bike sounds like a honda when its cold and then sounds like half a kawasaki when it warms up.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:13 AM
dont wuurry

RightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond repute

My friends CBR had that problem his was the cam chain. the dealership told him not todo anytihng it will go away and other people ha dtold him he needs a new cam chain tenshioner. when he looked that up he found a cam chain tenshioner and a tenshioner lifter...he didnt get either and just rode it aroudn and it went away...haha....

so i say find out exactly what it is before you pull the engine apart and adjust the valves.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:17 AM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by RightDiddy
My friends CBR had that problem his was the cam chain. the dealership told him not todo anytihng it will go away and other people ha dtold him he needs a new cam chain tenshioner. when he looked that up he found a cam chain tenshioner and a tenshioner lifter...he didnt get either and just rode it aroudn and it went away...haha....

so i say find out exactly what it is before you pull the engine apart and adjust the valves.
Well it cant be a cam chain on an RC51, they have gear driven cams.