VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Cycle Corner (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/)
-   -   Ticking once warm (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/ticking-once-warm-100078/)

mnchvgs79 07-06-2005 10:53 AM

Ticking once warm

I think I know what it is, but I wanted to get some others opinions. My RC51 has 1600 miles on it and runs perfectly, however once it warms up (about 150* or so) it starts to get a slight tick, it sounds like maybe I just need to pull the heads and adjust the valve clearance. At about 700 miles I changed the oil and put Mobile 1 10w50 in and about half a quart of that lucas oil stabilizer stuff, just because I had it in the garage. What do you think? Run a different oil? Adjust the valves? ride and forget about it?

lYellowDragonl 07-06-2005 01:20 PM

Re: Ticking once warm

eh aint yours something like the vtwin? mine ticks... suzuki said its normal.... but yours a honda so i dont know i have the sv650s k5

mnchvgs79 07-06-2005 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by lYellowDragonl
eh aint yours something like the vtwin? mine ticks... suzuki said its normal.... but yours a honda so i dont know i have the sv650s k5

Yeah its a 1000cc Twin. Like I said it doesnt really sound like anything bad, its just a faint ticking once the bike warms up that is noticable in the resonanace of the helmet.

lYellowDragonl 07-06-2005 09:36 PM

eh mine ticks off and on... i never really cared... i mean it runs strong and the same with it and without...

VADA9 07-06-2005 10:03 PM

sometimes people with afteramrket exhaest mistake a small leak at the header for a valve tick.

The_rabbit1 07-06-2005 10:43 PM

could b an exhaust leak or it might b valve clearance also i used to have three keys on my keychain and the key vibrating on the crosspiece would tick.

mnchvgs79 07-07-2005 04:39 AM

Its definately an engine tick, no doubt in my mind. Like Yellowdragon said, its really no big deal, it doesnt effect how the bike runs or anything, its just slightly annoying that the bike sounds like a honda when its cold and then sounds like half a kawasaki when it warms up.

RightDiddy 07-07-2005 05:13 AM

My friends CBR had that problem his was the cam chain. the dealership told him not todo anytihng it will go away and other people ha dtold him he needs a new cam chain tenshioner. when he looked that up he found a cam chain tenshioner and a tenshioner lifter...he didnt get either and just rode it aroudn and it went away...haha....

so i say find out exactly what it is before you pull the engine apart and adjust the valves.

mnchvgs79 07-07-2005 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by RightDiddy
My friends CBR had that problem his was the cam chain. the dealership told him not todo anytihng it will go away and other people ha dtold him he needs a new cam chain tenshioner. when he looked that up he found a cam chain tenshioner and a tenshioner lifter...he didnt get either and just rode it aroudn and it went away...haha....

so i say find out exactly what it is before you pull the engine apart and adjust the valves.

Well it cant be a cam chain on an RC51, they have gear driven cams.