Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

*Loud ticking noise*

Old 07-31-2003, 03:59 PM
i gotta P.H.D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pimpinainteasy pimpinainteasy pimpinainteasy pimpinainteasy pimpinainteasy pimpinainteasy pimpinainteasy pimpinainteasy pimpinainteasy pimpinainteasy pimpinainteasy
Default *Loud ticking noise*

What I notice that concerns me is this: when I first turn the car on and the engine is cold, I hear a ticking from the engine that sounds almost like metal on metal. However, once the car warms up a bit the ticking disappears at idle. If I give it gas, I can hear a slight ticking (although not as pronounced as the previous sound) as the RPMs die down. I got my valves adjusted about 3000 miles ago and the noise went away for like a day, but now everytime the engine is cold there is a loud metal on metal noise coming from the right side of the engine right underneath the valve cover near the belts. I thought the valve adjustment would cure this, but unfortunatley it didnt help. So i was wondering if any of you guys would know what is causing this insanely loud ticking noise. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I drive a 2001 Honda Prelude
Old 07-31-2003, 04:32 PM
Nic
Patron

Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic

lifters pumping up?
Old 07-31-2003, 05:00 PM
Banned

thelastmirage is an unknown quantity at this point

valve lashing comes to mind. what type of oil do you use?
Old 07-31-2003, 05:29 PM
RS Doscientos

litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic

Do you use oil?
Old 07-31-2003, 05:38 PM
R U SeRiOUS?

Lord_Vegeta Lord_Vegeta Lord_Vegeta Lord_Vegeta Lord_Vegeta Lord_Vegeta Lord_Vegeta Lord_Vegeta Lord_Vegeta Lord_Vegeta Lord_Vegeta

Do you use oil or water?
Old 07-31-2003, 06:03 PM

mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

If he has hvla's, then why the valve adjustment? At any rate, sometimes heavier oil will cause hvla's to tap.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:47 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

ohhh i had that problem in my rodeo
you need to check the following

one: you have a sufficient supply of oil (prefferably good oil)

and two: that your timing belt is not fudged... because mine was it started sorta ticking then i took it to the shop, it ended up being my timing was off and some other shit, so be careful not to run 'er into the ground..

it sounds like from what your saying tho that the lifters are getting insufficient oil flow to keep them from 'tinking'
Old 07-31-2003, 07:41 PM

mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe it could be that they werent bled when the valves where worked on?
Old 08-01-2003, 05:17 AM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

sounds like you need your lifters adjusted
Old 08-01-2003, 07:42 AM
Iridium V

MGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond repute

A good adjustment is probably a great idea. Older motors also begin to build oil deposits after time making it harder to get full oil pressure to the head, so get an oil system flush, and mke sure you're using the proper weight oil for your motor and the operating temps you're looking to run at. Cold oil is usually not viscus enough to get the proper presure where it needs to be. That's one of the reasons you don't want to use high RPMs on a motor that isn't up to temp.

Quick Reply: *Loud ticking noise*