Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Poor-Man Setup

Old 04-03-2006, 08:19 PM
fabricated reality

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kawgomoo can only hope to improve
Default Re: Poor-Man Setup

well lsvtec is cheap-ish, and can be made pretty fast.

turbo is great, but def not cheap. tuning becomes a REAL nightmare. afc hack is total b.s. as well as 90 percent of the other ways people try and tune there cars. not to mention a turbo is basically another engine in front of your engine, so you have a whole nother oiling system and cooling lines to contend with {water cooling the housing is def recomended, even though honda fags NEVER do it}

sooo if i had a crix which is light, and a budget id probably do an lsvtec. poor mans type r is pretty good, but really i dont think it ends up in the long run any cheaper than just buying a type r... not to do it right anyways.

you can get a b16 sir1 head cheap, you can get an ls block cheap. get the 20 dollar dowel pins from golden eagle, slap it all together with a 300 dollar set of 12.5to1 srp pistons.. dont really even need a forged piston, hypereutetic will work peachy for your situation as long as you dont plan on nos or turbo. maybe scrounge up a type r intake cam... your in the money

with little investment you shouldbe able to get up near 200hp mark... well like 180's 190 perhaps. if you can swing it get a valve job on the head {seth, 5 angle} some good springs and retainers. that way your all set for big lift cams and or high rpm should you decide to go that route in the future. oh yeah and put a vtec oil pump on it.

i guess the key is if you go n/a you will want a close ratio tranny, which an ls def is not.

ugh so many decisions.... remember the bottom end doesnt really make any power, {except for compression} it just holds it.. all the power is made in the head. so if you get the basics right first, you can mess with cams, intake manifolds headers and all that mess in the future as you get more money.

turbo single cam is total crap.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Banned

DecentCivicZ6 is an unknown quantity at this point

thats the setup im doing, b18a1 with b16 head, but mine isnt stock, not in the car yet either, just a b18c1 is. until somone ran a redlight into me last week. but I have arias forged 8:5.1 pistons, eagle-h, darton 84mm sleeves, crank girdle, pretty cheap if you ask me, head is about to get all the goodies in about a month. easy to build out of the car, rather than swappin stock crap in...then building it. take the time, comes out right.... oh and i have 60trim turbo setup for it... its gonna be fun tuning this, haha...any good places in VA for dynos? or jsut Pro-Motion Tuning?
Old 04-04-2006, 04:52 AM
repping that gR

WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3

build a sohc and build that. you should be able to afford that.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Busa Cap

Tmac85 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wayne
Are you trying to be a smart ass or something?
Old 04-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, Building a single cam..should be able to afford it. Sorry dude, but b-series and d-series aftermarket parts are in the same ball park kinda. Single cams can only get you so far anyways......
Old 04-04-2006, 02:05 PM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

you should be able to afford that.
LOLOL
Old 04-04-2006, 08:08 PM
fabricated reality

kawgomoo can only hope to improve

building a d or a b costs exactly the same.... except for one you have to buy two cams and two cam gears.. wooppity friggin do.

single cams blow ass anyhow....

CivicGsr94EG8.. why did you choose to go with such low comp pistons? low compression just means you need more boost to make the same power, and will increase lag time. typically i like to see around 10 to 1 with around 11psi from a t3ish turbo, a good combo that puts down 300 or so to the wheels on pump fuel. and a broad tq curve at that.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Busa Cap

Tmac85 is on a distinguished road

I always thought low compression pistons were better for turbo, no one ever took the time to explain to me why, I thought it was just a known fact high compression pistons are used for all motor, and low was used for boost....