Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

nitrous question

Old 06-03-2005, 05:48 PM
TRX 450 TYPE R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
h23havoc has disabled reputation
Default nitrous question

i gotta b18a1 block with a b16 vtec head, gotta fuel rail and bigger injectors etc. the head is stock but fully rebuilt the block as well, if i spray a dry fifty shot how much damage would that do to the internals ,......is there a safe amount to spray without messin up the internals in a stock motor? how long would it take before the engine started showin the wear of the nitrous?
Old 06-03-2005, 08:47 PM
JAY SPEC

00civichatch 00civichatch
Default Re: nitrous question

find out and let us know.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:15 AM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

As long as you have the fuel there you won't do any damage to the internals. Damage comes from excessive head from leaning out. A 55shot on stock injectors/fuel pump should be fine w/ a dry shot. If you are going to go to a 65, i'd get a fuel pump and FPR. Above a 65 shot up the injectors too and get some kind of fuel management to be safe, like an afc 2 or something.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:53 AM
Fighterer

Abysalone will become famous soon enough

You can do a 55-75 pretty safely if you add a fuel solenoid and turn it into a wet shot. I cant remeber exactly how its done but you pretty much just add a fuel solenoid and solder it where the one in the box goes, then buy another 3 an line and a Nossle or some sort of sprayer and jets.You would need jets since they are different wet vs dry. Then you just need to get fuel from the rail to the new fuel solenoid.

Nitrous itself does not blow motors, lack of fuel and added timing does. A fuel pressure safety switch is your best friend. I think the ZEX already has one in it. If you do not have enough fuel pressure the unit will not turn on.

Another thing to remember is install copper plugs gapped @.035 or so when spraying, do not use platinums and other "precious metal" plugs. They tend to create hotspots and can cause detonation. As for the gap, im not sure if .035 is correct for your car but thats what I use in the 6 banger, never had nitrous on anything else, my stock gap is .055-.060

There is no way to tell how long it will last, nitrous is a very violent poweradder as it brings in all the power at once, unlike a CSC or Turbo where HP comes in more gradually.
Nitrous is not too much cheaper than turbo's and CSC's if you want to do it right. But I must say it produces great instant power.
After re-reading your post I see you have the motor built so I would say a 100 shot wet and you will nut your pants.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It's the smaller electrode size of the "precious metal" plugs that make them run too hot. Any small electrode plug can do the same thing if you get a heat range that isn't correct for what you're doing. You may want to go with a slightly colder plug, just for safety if you're going to run a fairly good sized shot. Tune your fuel to match the amount of nitrous, keep a little on the cautious side of rich, and then you should be ok. Attention to detail and common sense will make your engine last a lot longer..