Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Nitrous question

Old 09-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Turbo VTEC-E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black6gen can only hope to improve
Cool Nitrous question

Ok i was just curious. What is being refered to when a nitro shot is labeled as 75,100,or 200? Is that about how much HP is gained with that set amount of Nitrous?

Never have messed with the stuff and don't really plan to but i would just like to know.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:28 AM
not ram my shit.

RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT
Default Re: Nitrous question

that's what i think.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Stock Block Killaa

1foxbody 1foxbody 1foxbody 1foxbody 1foxbody 1foxbody 1foxbody 1foxbody 1foxbody 1foxbody 1foxbody

Usually most of the time you will at least gain what the shot is advertised for example when i was running a 125 shot on my car i gained actually over 125rwhp and over 150rwtq then when i bump my shot up to 150 i never got to put the car on the dyno but im sure it was making close to 550tq because on 125 shot it put down 511tq on very shitty bottle pressure.....
Old 09-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

yes, the number is how much hp you gain

with good nitrous companies you will get 100whp or more, instead of 100crankhp.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It's an estimation of the power you'll gain based on the nitrous jet size, etc., but that's a really rough estimation. THere are a lot of factors that play into how much power you'll actually gain, like engine efficiency, etc. A Honda/Nissan/etc will usually get more than a domestic engine for a given amount of nitrous because of the better efficiency, etc.

Originally Posted by catfSSh
yes, the number is how much hp you gain

with good nitrous companies you will get 100whp or more, instead of 100crankhp.
Wise up, you're talking out of your ass.
This has NOTHING to do with what the actual power output is. How "good" the company has no relevance to this at all, it only has to do with how big the jets are.
If one company has slightly bigger jets than another company, so the power output per advertised kit size is more, that doesn't mean one company is better. That just means that one company uses jets that aren't accurately sized compared to another company.
If you get 125 HP instead of 100 HP, the jets are just bigger than they need to be, and the average power rating isn't accurate. If you rate your kit for 'X' power and use 0.045 jets instead of another company's 'X' power kit with 0.040 jets, the kits are rated the same but one will get more power (both more than the rated power most likely). Which company is better? Does that jet sizing have anything to do with the quality of the rest of the kit, like the fittings, solenoids, lines, valves, etc.?

Stupid analogy time:
If I gave you a baker's dozen (13) donuts instead of 12 donuts, and another donut shop gave you 12, does that mean that my donuts are better quality? No, it just means that I gave you more.

If this is all that matters to you when you're telling yourself which company is better, then you're fooling yourself.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-01-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:35 PM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
It's an estimation of the power you'll gain based on the nitrous jet size, etc., but that's a really rough estimation. THere are a lot of factors that play into how much power you'll actually gain, like engine efficiency, etc. A Honda/Nissan/etc will usually get more than a domestic engine for a given amount of nitrous because of the better efficiency, etc.
Right the make of the engine really changes the fact of how much output you will recieve for the rated shot.... Anyways up until that last line he had it right on the money.

This has NOTHING to do with what the actual power output is. How "good" the company has no relevance to this at all, it only has to do with how big the jets are.
If one company has slightly bigger jets than another company, so the power output per advertised kit size is more, that doesn't mean one company is better. That just means that one company uses jets that aren't accurately sized compared to another company.
If you get 125 HP instead of 100 HP, the jets are just bigger than they need to be, and the average power rating isn't accurate. If you rate your kit for 'X' power and use 0.045 jets instead of another company's 'X' power kit with 0.040 jets, the kits are rated the same but one will get more power (both more than the rated power most likely). Which company is better? Does that jet sizing have anything to do with the quality of the rest of the kit, like the fittings, solenoids, lines, valves, etc.?

Stupid analogy time:
If I gave you a baker's dozen (13) donuts instead of 12 donuts, and another donut shop gave you 12, does that mean that my donuts are better quality? No, it just means that I gave you more.

If this is all that matters to you when you're telling yourself which company is better, then you're fooling yourself.
The word good is not the same your word "better". Good means having desirable qualities. My old TNT kit was rated at the rear wheels, that to me is a good quality, in comparison to another company that rates at the crankshaft. The word better means of a higher quality or greater in excellence. If I were to use the word better then I would be stating that one kit is better than another. But using the word good just merely states my opinion I think a good company should rate their kits at the rear wheels since it is the most reaonable measurement the end user can actually measure. SO your fooling yourself by changing his wording... know the difference.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
ya youre right about the jet size being the determining factor on how much hp is actually aquired, wheather it is an accurate jet sizing or not

when i said good i didnt really mean a well-built durable nitrous kit i meant one that will give you the most hp for that rating or application

for instance, like Big Bake said, TNT is notorious for making a 100 shot that will give you 115ish whp depending on application which could translate to a 150shot from a different company

Last edited by catfSSh; 09-01-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:58 PM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by catfSSh
for instance, like Big Bake said, TNT is notorious for making a 100 shot that will give you 115ish whp depending on application which could translate to a 150shot from a different company
TNT rated their shots based on a stock car at the rear wheels. So depending on the modifications that you have in place for example a set of headers, you may have an increase in actual output of 10-15% more.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

None of this changes that fact that the quality of the kit doesn't have to do with how accurate the power rating is, given that you won't get the same power output on different engines from different engines manufacturers, and crank vs. wheel HP. Wheel HP is different also, you'll get different drivetrain efficiency losses on RWD, FWD, AWD, etc. So a 100 shot isn't going to give 100HP on all engines, all drivetrains, all altitudes, on all dynos, etc. Saying that a 100 shot gave you 115 HP tells absolutely nothing, and someone with with a different car will get different results. Again, can you really base the quality of the kit on the jet size that they give you, instead of the lines, fittings, etc?

If you're really worried about getting the most power out of a given kit, get the kit with the highest quality components, and then buy the jets that give you the power output that you want, after you dyno it the first time and have a baseline.

I could make the shittiest quality kit on the market, put oversized jets in it, and you'd make 175 HP instead of the nominal 100 HP I advertised. Does that make my crappy nitrous kit a quality product? No, it still makes it a piece of shit but with jets that are bigger than the competition's 100 HP rated kit.