Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

new to messing with nissan swaps need questions answered

Old 09-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2_slow_2_go is a splendid one to behold2_slow_2_go is a splendid one to behold2_slow_2_go is a splendid one to behold2_slow_2_go is a splendid one to behold2_slow_2_go is a splendid one to behold2_slow_2_go is a splendid one to behold2_slow_2_go is a splendid one to behold2_slow_2_go is a splendid one to behold
Default new to messing with nissan swaps need questions answered

ok so im about to get a 89 240sx hatch, has no motor but does have stock tranny, what motors would bolt to that tranny? what would have to be done to the tranny to get a sr20 in it? what wiring would have to be done and how much do you think the sr20 swap would cost? please let me now asap and thanks for the help ahead of time
Old 09-13-2011, 11:20 AM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes
Default Re: new to messing with nissan swaps need questions answered

A ka24 will bolt to the stock tranny. As for the sr swap I know the swap itself isn't to expensive. As for wiring idk, my nissan knowledge isn't great
Old 09-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

2_slow_2_go is a splendid one to behold2_slow_2_go is a splendid one to behold2_slow_2_go is a splendid one to behold2_slow_2_go is a splendid one to behold2_slow_2_go is a splendid one to behold2_slow_2_go is a splendid one to behold2_slow_2_go is a splendid one to behold2_slow_2_go is a splendid one to behold

because i was told that the sr20 will bolt to the stock ka24 tranny if you swap the bell housing and will drop right in with some wiring i know someone who can do wiring for me for real cheap, its just the motor and tranny i need to get im gonna have $300 and a hand full of stereo shit to trade for the motor or motor and tranny
Old 09-13-2011, 12:19 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Again my nissan knowledge isn't all that great, but if the sr will bolt to a ka tranny that could be a wise idea seeing as sr trannys are weak as shit
Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker

The trannies are the same internally, save for 5th gear. The major difference exterior wise is the bolt pattern for the bellhousing. You can swap the bellhousings like you said, but it's pretty rare to find just an SR bellhousing.

And if you're trading some junk and $300 for a motor, I wouldn't be expecting to get anything solidly reliable. In my experience, you should expect to drop at least $1300 for something that won't shit on you.

As far as SR trannies being weak, I've never seen anyone grenade one. I've seen plenty of people upgrade to Z32 trannies, but I think it was more for the sake of doing it than anything. S15 trannies have a misplaced reputation for going shrapnel, but again, I've never seen anyone grenade one before. I think the only reason people believe that the S15's was weak was due to the gears being cut slightly thinner to cram a 6th gear in the box. Fun fact: Nismo released that 6 speed with some treated internals as a bolt on for S13/S14 applications (added a spot to bolt the speed sensor to). I thought about getting it, but remembered the clutch assembly is a bitch for those, and I didn't have 3k to drop on it.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

john 89 has disabled reputation

Expect over atleast $2000 for the SR swap.

You should get a 200 dollar single cam KA and rig up an Eaton M62.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

i honestly dont care i just need a motor for that or an accord
Old 09-15-2011, 06:57 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Originally Posted by Hijacker
The trannies are the same internally, save for 5th gear. The major difference exterior wise is the bolt pattern for the bellhousing. You can swap the bellhousings like you said, but it's pretty rare to find just an SR bellhousing.

And if you're trading some junk and $300 for a motor, I wouldn't be expecting to get anything solidly reliable. In my experience, you should expect to drop at least $1300 for something that won't shit on you.

As far as SR trannies being weak, I've never seen anyone grenade one. I've seen plenty of people upgrade to Z32 trannies, but I think it was more for the sake of doing it than anything. S15 trannies have a misplaced reputation for going shrapnel, but again, I've never seen anyone grenade one before. I think the only reason people believe that the S15's was weak was due to the gears being cut slightly thinner to cram a 6th gear in the box. Fun fact: Nismo released that 6 speed with some treated internals as a bolt on for S13/S14 applications (added a spot to bolt the speed sensor to). I thought about getting it, but remembered the clutch assembly is a bitch for those, and I didn't have 3k to drop on it.
I have a buddy whose been through three sr transmissions on his daily, which has rare track use as well. I've been told by countless nissan owners that sr transmissions might as well be made of glass. I've also heard of the z32 trans upgrade for its strength, but I have no personal hands on experience with sr20s so im going off of what other nissan owners have told me
Old 09-16-2011, 05:38 PM
I H8 MY CAR

FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx

KA transmission is the same transmission on the SR. Actually same tranny on the CA and RB20 too. Only difference is the bellhousing bolt pattern. KA and RB are close pattern wise except for one hole, if you slot the hole, itll fit for either engine. SR and CA are swappable but you wont find any CA transmission since the engines were in short production.

Anyways, you said you dont have an engine so its same to assume you dont have the engine harness too. You need a couple plugs off the KA harness to swap in the SR. Engine sets will usually run you about $1.5k while the clips will run another $1k on top. If you get a clip, you usually get almost everything you need for the swap with a few extra goodies. But if you plan on upgrading stuff anyways, you'd be better off getting an engine set. The only thing you'd have to be wary about now is that the engines coming in from japan nowadays are almost entirely made of shit engines. There isnt a whole lot of supplies left, whats coming in now are the engines that nobody wanted. Make sure you have proof of compression and some kind of warranty just in case it has rod knock on it.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:09 PM
nothin2tucknstillTDB

shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed

Originally Posted by Crnchy wen Blac
A ka24 will bolt to the stock tranny. As for the sr swap I know the swap itself isn't to expensive. As for wiring idk, my nissan knowledge isn't great
Wiring is easy as piss for this one. You're just elongating a few and they're pretty easy to find...except the pink one with the brown dashes (If I remember correctly). Swap is cheap too but factor in the cost of two 2x4's cause you're gonna need em to wedge that shit into the mounts. Plus, make note that the engine suppliers will usually guarantee that the engine itself works but they make no guarantees on the peripherals so stuff like PS may not work