Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

My fuses keep blowing....??

Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 AM
FredVegas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B16ASilverHonda has a spectacular aura aboutB16ASilverHonda has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: My fuses keep blowing....??

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
That's like having a gas leak in your house and walking around with a match to find it. Once you find it, just rebuild the side of the house you just blew up.
I like this guy
Old 04-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Old N Slow :D

cobra671 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
That's the worst electrical advice I've ever heard. Getting rid of the protection (correct fuse) and then seeing what gets fried is the stupidest thing you could possibly do. That's like having a gas leak in your house and walking around with a match to find it. Once you find it, just rebuild the side of the house you just blew up.

So what happens when you fry one of the wires in the dash harness, or the engine harness, or something else that's really hard to see or access? Now you have an unprotected wire with no insulation, and you don't know where it is or what it is. Also, if you have something like a bad body control module, or something other than a bad wire, you won't be looking for a bad wire anyway, you'll be looking for what that wire is connected to. If you fry a wire, and replace the wire, you haven't done a damn thing to solve the problem, you've just unnecessarily cooked a wire and wasted a lot of time.

The better solution is to remove the fuses that are blowing, and use a multimeter to measure the current across the fuse terminals. The multimeter will conduct current through itself the same as the fuse will, and it's protected with a fuse inside.
So yeah, are there ANY mods or additions to the stock wiring, such as fuel piggybacks, turbo timers, boost controllers, car alarms, etc?
LOL!! +1m

This is assuming he knows how to use a multimeter correctly right? Otherwise the meter will be added to the list of fried goods.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:33 AM
FredVegas

B16ASilverHonda has a spectacular aura aboutB16ASilverHonda has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cobra671
LOL!! +1m

This is assuming he knows how to use a multimeter correctly right? Otherwise the meter will be added to the list of fried goods.
well not necessarily the meter has an internal fuse..but too much current or resistance can blow the fuse in the meter and fry it...seen it happen
Old 04-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower

You've seen a meter fry from too much resistance? That means a meter would blow up on an open circuit

All I can add is start from the locks and see if there is voltage at the switch. Then trace back to the alarm control module. If the alarm module has voltage but not giving any then there is your problem. A wiring diagram of the sunroof and door lock is a must. So is an understanding of how electricity works.

Looking for a gas leak with a match, hahaha.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:25 PM
FredVegas

Originally Posted by MaxPower
You've seen a meter fry from too much resistance? That means a meter would blow up on an open circuit

All I can add is start from the locks and see if there is voltage at the switch. Then trace back to the alarm control module. If the alarm module has voltage but not giving any then there is your problem. A wiring diagram of the sunroof and door lock is a must. So is an understanding of how electricity works.

Looking for a gas leak with a match, hahaha.

Well I meant from the current and amperage...
Old 04-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by B16ASilverHonda
Well I meant from the current and amperage...
Those would be the same thing.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Thats more like it.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U

Well to answer two questions above: the car is completely stock. The keyless entry is the factory Honda one and nothing other then maintanence has been done to the car. So...since Im a complete idiot..could someone link me a sight or PM me a detailed instruction on how to properly check for this issue?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

http://www.hondahookup.com/ has the service manual if you are interested.

after looking through it im sure a good place to start is the keyless door lock control unit since you say you lock switch and remote both dont work.

Its located in your driverside kick panel.

You need to see if there is voltage at the white/green wire. If there is then you need to make sure there is continuity between the black wire(ground) out of the box and a good ground. The door latch is a petty good ground.

This is a good start and we can go from there. If you cant find the control unit download the 96-00 service manual from http://www.hondahookup.com/ and at the end of the manual has all the wiring and locations.

page 23-254 is your wire diagram
page 23-251 show locations.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:37 PM
GO GO GODZILLA!

Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto

Kevin take it to a shop you're going to fuck up your car I'm not even joking or if you in va bring it to me