Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

My fuses keep blowing....??

Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U
Default My fuses keep blowing....??

Alright...bout a month and a half ago...my keyless entry went haywire on me. I pressed the lock button and the alarm went on and my keyless entry wouldnt shut it off so i had to use the valet button. Shortly after, my tail lights when out...and now my sunroof and power locks dont work. I practically replaced all the fuses and the tail lights work..but the fuses blow out after like a week.

Even after replacing the blow fuses...my power locks, sunroof and keyless entry doesnt work. Anyone know what the problem may be? I drive a 2000 Honda Civic btw.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:56 AM
gotta go gotta go

cr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My fuses keep blowing....??

It sounds like you might have an issue with a live wire. Always check your grounds to make sure that they're intact, then follow any common power sources for your lights, locks, etc. Check around your fuse box as well and make sure that there aren't any water leaks coming in from under the hood, thru the slits in the fender, whatever. If you know how to use a multimeter then check the output of all those leads giving you a problem. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Do You Want More?

Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only

is the keyless entry after market? i had the first problem you had with my aftermarket several years ago. it turned out that the "brain" went haywire and was causing other problems. good thing for me it was under warranty and it turned out that the box needed to be replaced.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:48 AM
JDM Weksos

TRDracing2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check for bad grounds, Shorts, and make sure your not sending to much power through the system.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

willie has disabled reputation

you got a wire touching somewhere put a 30 amp fuse is one that keeps blowing and it will start burning the wire and you found it just repair that wire and youll be good to go
Old 04-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by willie
you got a wire touching somewhere put a 30 amp fuse is one that keeps blowing and it will start burning the wire and you found it just repair that wire and youll be good to go
That's the worst electrical advice I've ever heard. Getting rid of the protection (correct fuse) and then seeing what gets fried is the stupidest thing you could possibly do. That's like having a gas leak in your house and walking around with a match to find it. Once you find it, just rebuild the side of the house you just blew up.

So what happens when you fry one of the wires in the dash harness, or the engine harness, or something else that's really hard to see or access? Now you have an unprotected wire with no insulation, and you don't know where it is or what it is. Also, if you have something like a bad body control module, or something other than a bad wire, you won't be looking for a bad wire anyway, you'll be looking for what that wire is connected to. If you fry a wire, and replace the wire, you haven't done a damn thing to solve the problem, you've just unnecessarily cooked a wire and wasted a lot of time.

The better solution is to remove the fuses that are blowing, and use a multimeter to measure the current across the fuse terminals. The multimeter will conduct current through itself the same as the fuse will, and it's protected with a fuse inside.

So yeah, are there ANY mods or additions to the stock wiring, such as fuel piggybacks, turbo timers, boost controllers, car alarms, etc?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 04-27-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:41 PM
for alarms/rmt-strts

EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by k20civic
Alright...bout a month and a half ago...my keyless entry went haywire on me. I pressed the lock button and the alarm went on and my keyless entry wouldnt shut it off so i had to use the valet button. Shortly after, my tail lights when out...and now my sunroof and power locks dont work. I practically replaced all the fuses and the tail lights work..but the fuses blow out after like a week.

Even after replacing the blow fuses...my power locks, sunroof and keyless entry doesnt work. Anyone know what the problem may be? I drive a 2000 Honda Civic btw.
i had this problem with my car as well, it turned out that the brain was bad from the factory. its more than likely the brain or the install from your aftermarket keyless system.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

1slowcivic 1slowcivic 1slowcivic

i'ved worked with a lady with the same complaint. even though it is a 02 civic, and found those system that are failing have a common ground or common wires. turned out to be coins inside the cd plyer can cause the fuse to blow. not saying its the same thing but check which component are all related and perform process of elimination to find the faulty component then check for the open wire.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:21 PM
FredVegas

B16ASilverHonda has a spectacular aura aboutB16ASilverHonda has a spectacular aura about

look in autozone or if you are familiar with tool web, snap on, mac tools, etc...they have these things called fuse savers and what they do is help you track down the short without having to replace 5 million fuses. Electrical is very hard and confusing...just take your time track down all the wires and if you cant find any shorts...start testing componets.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:32 PM
CRX

CivicRenModelX has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by willie
That is really really dumb. You sir are a smart one!

Quick Reply: My fuses keep blowing....??