Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Electrical problem. help please

Old 04-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Works on S2000's.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory
Default Electrical problem. help please

ok, so heres the deal. I went out to my accord, hit the disarm button for my alarm. it disarms, and i get in, and put the key in the ignition. i turn the key on, the dash lights all light up, and i go to crank it up, and it does 1/2 a crank, and then i loose everything. no dash lights or anything. i thought the battery was dead. i get some jumper cables, and try starting it again, and still no dash lights or anything. i get a test light, and the battery is lighting up the test light. i check all the fuses under the hood, and they are all good. i go to check the fuses under the dash, and im not getting any power to the interior fuse block (so i think). i go back under the hood, and try using the strut tower as a ground for the test light, and if i touch the negative battery terminal/cable the test light lights up. wtf. if i put the test light on the neg terminal, and touch the pos terminal, it lights up. so its like the body has become a power source, and not a ground. can anyone help me??? its pissing me off, and i cant figure it out. any help is good help. thanks.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Electrical problem. help please

Most likely you have a bad ground, or corrosion on your power or ground connection. You're reading a difference in potential from point to point, you're seeing that your battery positive, batt negative, and chassis are at differrent potentials. I would be willing to bet you have some bad cable resistance caused by corrosion. Clean both battery terminals carefully before going any farther.
This sounds like the problem I had when my ground cable from my battery to my engine block became corroded at the block connection. This also sounds more like my GF's Frontier P/U when the ground terminal cracked and was loose.. Everything worked fine but it would barely crank (and woundn't catch or run) because of the current needed.

You need to use a multimeter, test lights are crap for actually figuring out anything useful. You are being confused by the limitations of what the test light is actually capable of testing/displaying.
When you use a multimeter, pay attention to whether you're reading positive or negative voltage between two points. I troubleshot my WRX in 10 seconds with a multimeter, I was reading 3 volts from my battery negative to my engine block, bad news. (there should be as little voltage difference as possible between those two points)

Last edited by Fabrik8; 04-15-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Works on S2000's.

C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory
Default Re: Electrical problem. help please

it was just a bad ground from the battery to the body. i was outside messing with it, pulling the cables off, and just touched the neg cable leads to the body, and the alarm started going off. so i just cleaned up where the grounds meet the body, and put it back together, and it works like a champ