Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

D16Z6 knocking

Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grant90 has disabled reputation
Unhappy D16Z6 knocking

Whats going on? A little about my car, I recently bought a 95 Civic Ex Coupe w/the D16z6 from a dealership w/about 116,000 miles on it. I've also, put on new timing belts, crank seal, axle seals, tensioner, Recent oil change with full synthetic 5w-30, new spark plugs/wires. The current mods are only an AEM short ram intake and DC sport headers and suspension upgrades.
My issue is that on the way to Hampton U, i was shifting into 4th gear and my car started a pretty noticeable knock. I continued driving towards the exit and once at a complete stop, both my oil & battery light came on and the the car shut off. I turned it back on and the knock became louder and only got louder so i turned it back off. I checked the oil the stick was pretty dry(changed the oil that day or day before) and when I looked under the car the Catalytic converter was smoking (not sure if thats normal).

Not sure what the issue is but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

civic si has disabled reputation
Default Re: D16Z6 knocking

Who changed the oil on the car? if it was done that day and there was no oil then the drain plug must not have been tightened all the way or 2 gaskets on the oil filter.

Did the converter have alot of oil on it or was it dry?

If the engine was dry and started to knock then its probably spun a couple bearings in the bottom end.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Banned

ttandhondas can only hope to improve

Got my car last thursday, BLEW FRIDAY the next day. I got on it and it started knocking, about 4 miles later it blew up. Don't drive that anywhere, You PROBABLY need Rod and Main Bearings, idk cause i just changed my motor, put a d15b in it now i can't find a distributer anywhere.

Mine didn't have any oil in it either, prob just enough to fill the oil filter lol. Rod and Main bearings are like 40 dollars, they are on your crangshaft, not too bad to fix i wouldn't think but i never done it b4. I had a d16z6 also. When u don't have oil your motor gets hot and spins the bearings.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:53 PM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

You spun a bearing.

A car can spin a bearing even if the oil is at a proper level. Your oil pump could ahve gone bad or the previous owner ran it without oil once.

Time for a tear down and rebuild. if you just got the car though, the dealership usually covers it for 30 days...what dealership did you buy it from?
Old 04-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies. I took it to The Parts house today, (AN AWESOME PLACE FOR ANYONE WITH A HONDA/ACURA), and the said it was most likely a fried piston ring..don't quote me on that I don't remember the exact terms they used, but anyways the cost to fix is enough or close anough for a new motor, so i'm probably gonna go B-series.

@Donkey Punch Thanks for the advice, I bought it at Lawrence dealership on Virginia Beach BLVD.
@ttandhondas Thanks for the advice, I feel for you duude, and i'm not driving it ANYWHERE, its at the shop
@civic si civic si Thanks, I did the oil change, I recheked the oil today at it was already black(don't know why)
Old 04-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

FOR SALE IF ANYONE WANTS IT!
I'M GOIN B-SERIES!!!!!!!