Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

knocking

Old 07-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eghatch eghatch eghatch eghatch eghatch eghatch eghatch eghatch eghatch eghatch eghatch
Default knocking

so i was driving a gsr boosted on 5lbs its not my car but the owner cant drive it so she lets me drive it for her and it has a messed up oilpan gasket... when we left today it has full oil as the stick red about 30mins later i hear a knocking start as soon as it started i cut the car off and the stick red no oil so we put 3QTs of oil in it and it still knocks can anyone back up that the engine is done or could it be saved
Old 07-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: knocking

If it's consuming oil that fast, whether burning it or leaking it, don't drive it. Unless something is seriously damaged (cracked block, major bearing journal damage, etc) it should be able to be rebuilt. Just don't drive it any more though, whatever is wrong isn't going to get better on its own.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

eghatch eghatch eghatch eghatch eghatch eghatch eghatch eghatch eghatch eghatch eghatch

so you think it needs to be rebuilt i mean it didnt knock longer then 10seconds
Old 07-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Registered member

WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E

was it a supercharged gsr?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Well, if it was knocking because it didn't have any oil, then it's probably fine. As long as it wasn't knocking from detonation or preignition then it should be fine. If it ran for any length of time without enough oil though, you may be in trouble. It sounds like it has some things that need to be addressed regardless.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by WALL-E
was it a supercharged gsr?
nah its turbo'd
Old 07-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Well, if it was knocking because it didn't have any oil, then it's probably fine. As long as it wasn't knocking from detonation or preignition then it should be fine. If it ran for any length of time without enough oil though, you may be in trouble. It sounds like it has some things that need to be addressed regardless.
we put more oil in it and it still knocked has the oil just not got to the knocking yet ?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:41 AM
fabricating is fun

cleckner04 is an unknown quantity at this point

is there a way that you can lift it up and take the oil pan off. if you can you can move the crank with a breaker bar and look and see if there is moving in the bottom end. rods crank and stuff like that. i know i pulled apart a 22r toyota and the bottom needed new bearings but it was far worst than that.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

RalliartRsX has disabled reputation

More than likely spun a bearing

As recommended above, if you can take the oilpan off and pull the caps, that will give you a good idea if youve spun a bearing or worse.

Best case scenario, spun a bearing, the crank hasnt been damaged (or pitted) and the bore is not marked up. Worst case scenario, you remove the rod cap and the bearing is either a) in pieces or b) in the oilpan. At which point, just rebuild it

Boost + no oil = spun bearing in most cases (dont ask me how I know )
Old 07-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

thanks for the response everyone iam do that thrusday and we had pland on replacing the oilpan gasket so ill just take a look while iam at it

Quick Reply: knocking