Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

4g63 turbo motor issues

Old 03-31-2010, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lamarc has disabled reputation
Default 4g63 turbo motor issues

okay im trying to fix up my 1990 1 gen awd trubo eclipse now it runs good starts up not problems but when your driving it temp is good when your sitting temp rises to about 3/25 of the way up not all the way to hot but close enought for me to worry when you drive temp goes back down any advise..

well good news is with the new thermostat gasket and cap its not running hot no more but coolant is durty as fuck so i will be doing that soon.... if you know anyone who wants to by one it is forsale now cheek my other thread all she needs is an axel now 70 at advance... need to seel help a vet sell his car.

Last edited by lamarc; 04-06-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Registered member

talonman has disabled reputation
Default Re: 4g63 turbo motor issues

Is this a first gen?
This happened to me, and come to find out, my radiator fan woesnt working. But yea checkl the thermostat, then if it still does it try the radiator fan, then hopefuylly that works or unfortunately it may be internal..
Old 03-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If it's cooling properly when you're moving, the thermostat is working fine. If it wasn't, it wouldn't care whether you were moving or not because water isn't flowing through the radiator either way. It will usually overheat faster with a stuck (closed) thermostat when you're moving, because the engine is under load and producing a lot more heat.

It is possible that the thermostat is not opening all the way, so there is enough water flow when the pump is moving at a higher RPM than idle, and there is enough airflow over the radiator.

It sounds like a fan problem, so the fan, the fan switch (thermoswitch usually, but I don't know much about that car), or the fan relay. Thermoswitches go bad fairly frequently, and are cheap to replace, so I'd diagnose that first. You can remove it and test it in a pot of hot water on the stove usually. Use a multimeter and check resistance (or continuity) as the water heats up. You could also test it in the driveway while idling if the weather is warm. Basically you're just testing if the fan is actually doing its job or not. If it is, it's most likely a thermostat problem.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

kulbordr has disabled reputation

wire your fan into your cig lighter so its always on when the cars on
Old 03-31-2010, 08:43 PM
RIP Chris Schader

g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x

or fix it the right way... you really think the cigarette circuit is going to support the amps the fans draw when turning on? Just figure out whats wrong with your fans, check fuses/relays/temp sensor and check to see if the fan is actually locked up because i have seen that several times as well.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by kulbordr
wire your fan into your cig lighter so its always on when the cars on
I know you're joking, but it still makes me wince.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

kulbordr has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I know you're joking, but it still makes me wince.
lol
Old 04-01-2010, 04:49 AM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

Just out of curiosity, have you changed or flushed your coolant lately? If you have changed it, did you burp the system? I've seen this happen to many people with air pockets in their system.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:59 AM

lamarc has disabled reputation

yes it is a first gen and the new thermostat was orderd today i will cheek the fan i know it is working i just dont know if it is spinning fast enougth to cool it and no i have not changed the fluid recently i know my last car talon had a bad thermostat stuck open and it stayed preety cool when it was decent outside until at idle then tried to over heat when it was hot out car owuld run hot while sitting ima take a look at it today keep you posted
Old 04-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

Check the ring on your coolant/radiator cap. Sometimes they corrode and don't get a proper seal. I had that issue with mine. As said before try burping the system.

Quick Reply: 4g63 turbo motor issues