Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

B16 CRX problem.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:31 AM
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subie2Honda Subie2Honda
Default B16 CRX problem.

Ok, first off, THIS IS NOT MY VEHICLE. I am posting this because I have done what I can at this point, but still have'nt properly completed diagnosis of the vehicle. Any input(save the smart-ass bullshit) is appreciated.

Anyways, my friend Anthony bought a pretty clean B16A CRX off another friend of ours(JDMB16CRX), and he understood he was going to have to put some work into this car to get her running. The car, overall, was put together pretty well by previous owners. However, when attempting to get the car to fire over, she will crank but not catch. First, we replaced the main relay to no avail. Then, after establishing the the car is getting spark(which it was), we ran the problem back to the fact that the fuel pump was failing to prime. After ensuring the wiring was intact and not faulty, we replaced the fuel pump. Now the fuel pump primes, but the car STILL will not start. I know the car is running an LS ECU(despite the fact the car has a VTEC motor, it should still run with this ECU). I'm running out of ideas, short of the possibility that the harness is bad as a whole. I know who put this motor in, and I know he knows his shit, so at this point I don't want to consider the option of re-wiring it for him until I absolutely positively have to. Either way, any help is appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Chandler
Old 01-15-2009, 12:03 PM
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Subie2Honda Subie2Honda
Default Re: B16 CRX problem.

Can anyone provide insight with this?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Is it an Si, DX or HF?

Is it converted to obd-1 or is it still obd-0?

Was it running previously?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

stockandsloweg6 has disabled reputation

I had something similar to this happen on my 92 hatch...Try stripping an injector power wire and run it to the positive side of the battery. and put vtec on a switch...all vtec all the time lol
Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Have you checked to see if the injectors are working? I would check all of the sensor wiring, and see if it isn't something obvious like switched wires. Assume nothing is done correctly and then check everything to make sure it's correct. Also check the distributor, although if you had a major failure of an engine position sensor (crank or cam sensor, etc) then you shouldn't have spark for more than a brief second. There are a lot of things it could be with a swap like that, just because people who shouldn't be doing wiring are doing wiring.

So you're not getting any CELs?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:29 AM
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Subie2Honda Subie2Honda

Surprisingly, no CEL as of yet. I have checked alot of the wiring, but as for the injectors, no.

I will definately check that tonight.

The car was running at one point, a couple of years ago, but has sat until now. I'm pretty sure the cars sits as OBD-O right now. Is this sort of issue common with this particular swap?

Thanks a metric shit-ton for everyone's help, seriously.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Anytime you have a swap like this, and someone has to change wiring around, problems are common. It's not the difficulty of the wiring, because it's all easy, it's just that people often don't know what they're doing and they butcher the wiring. It's easy to get it right and just as easy to make something unreliable and totally rigged, depending on how you go about it.

Definitely check the injectors though. Probably not the problem, but that would be a complete showstopper if they didn't work.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:14 AM
ohh yea

integrab17 has disabled reputation

did u check the fuses in the engine bay .??
Old 01-16-2009, 09:32 AM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

Check your firing order...
Old 01-16-2009, 01:07 PM
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Subie2Honda Subie2Honda

good suggestions, all of them. Thanks everybody.

Now that someone has mentioned firing order, I'll definately have to check that out. I dont see the wires being @#$%$, but you never know.

And fuses...bah!! We all know how much Honda's love blowing them out, so i dont know why I didnt think of that lol