Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

99 Eclipse Won't stay running. Help?

Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN
Default 99 Eclipse Won't stay running. Help?

Hey Everyone,

I'm having issues with 99 Eclipse GS Oz Ediiton. I recently purchased the car and it ran fine. I was trying to run a power wire (audio wires) through the fire wall and noticed I ended up poking a hole through the rubber plug as well as the wiring harness. After running the power wire I noticed what I had done and checked to see if any wires had been cut. So I pulled the wires towards the inside of the car to see what damage I may have caused. Nothing was damaged so I kept it moving. I tried to start the car and it wouldn't turn over. Finally I stepped on the gas to get it started and it starts now.

My problem is that it starts and idles perfectly fine but now the CEL and Battery light turn on ONLY while the engine is running. If I turn the key to the on position, no CEL or Battery light stays on. Also, once running, as soon as I give it any gas it immediately dies. With the weather getting colder ('20 in Virginia it does have a harder time starting in the cold)

I have so far replaced the battery, alternator, Spark plug, oil, air filter, fuel filter, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the EGR valve, Sprayed starting fluid all over the engine to see if there were any leaks and I am now clueless. I do hear the fuel pump kick on when I start the car and it idles perfectly fine so I figured it wasn't the fuel pump but If you think it may be the cause then I will replace that hoping to get it back on the road.

Also, there is no MAF on my car and the voltage regulator is built into the ECU supposedly.

Any other ideas would greatly be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov
Default Re: 99 Eclipse Won't stay running. Help?

Did you try removing the power wire and see if the car starts and idles/runs as it did before?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Registered member

ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN

Power wire isn't even hooked up. Just sitting there.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM
HAM

Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat

Sup bro,

Wish this was a 4g63 layout so I'd know exactly where your wires were run etc, not too familiar with the 420a layout, but I'll do my best.

Originally Posted by ONEFLYAZN
So I pulled the wires towards the inside of the car to see what damage I may have caused. Nothing was damaged so I kept it moving.
How thorough were you in checking the harness? Did you pull enough to loosen anything? A trick we used to use back in the day for a (slightly) damaged harness was to drip hot glue into it to reseal the wires. Not suggesting you do that, it would depend on the condition of the harness.

My problem is that it starts and idles perfectly fine but now the CEL and Battery light turn on ONLY while the engine is running. If I turn the key to the on position, no CEL or Battery light stays on.
Do you have a voltmeter or code reader? Battery light = circuit not running at 13v-14v while the car is on which is usually the alternator. Since you said you replaced it already, did you test the circuit to see what the actual voltage is?

However....if I'm understanding what you're saying, before you actually crank the car, the usual lights in the dash (battery, etc) are not illuminated while they key is in the 'ON' position. Sounds like if the car isn't actually throwing a code, and the alternator is fine etc, the polarity of the signal on those lights is reversed. What would cause that then. A relay maybe?

Also, once running, as soon as I give it any gas it immediately dies.
How does it behave as it dies? Does it sputter out choking on too much fuel? Or just immediately shut off? etc..

Another easy check is to look at your fuses...I can't think of anything that would cause those symptoms from a busted fuse but...it's easy enough either way, maybe one of them is half burnt and isn't supplying the correct amount of current, had some weird behavior on mine that I eventually traced back to a fuse.

P.S. You should consider getting rid of that thing and get my eclipse instead
Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Registered member

[QUOTE=Heat;8052602]Sup bro,

Wish this was a 4g63 layout so I'd know exactly where your wires were run etc, not too familiar with the 420a layout, but I'll do my best.
Whats up bro, Me too, didn't find any good deals on any GSX's =/

How thorough were you in checking the harness? Did you pull enough to loosen anything? A trick we used to use back in the day for a (slightly) damaged harness was to drip hot glue into it to reseal the wires. Not suggesting you do that, it would depend on the condition of the harness.
Pretty thorough, I pulled the wires in a good 4-6" and I saw a few wires damaged but just wrapped some electrical tape around it. Nothing was cut other than the plastic around the wire.

Do you have a voltmeter or code reader? Battery light = circuit not running at 13v-14v while the car is on which is usually the alternator. Since you said you replaced it already, did you test the circuit to see what the actual voltage is?
I tested it before I replaced the alt. The battery read 12.5v on the battery with car off and 15.xx with car on. Couldn't remember exactly how high above 15v but with the car sitting for a few years before I purchased and the previous owner stating the battery and alt may be bad I just replaced it.

However....if I'm understanding what you're saying, before you actually crank the car, the usual lights in the dash (battery, etc) are not illuminated while they key is in the 'ON' position. Sounds like if the car isn't actually throwing a code, and the alternator is fine etc, the polarity of the signal on those lights is reversed. What would cause that then. A relay maybe?
I can't remember if I disconnected the battery before running the power wire. Would it be possible if I damaged 3 wires in the process that the screw driver would've touched two wires at the same time and maybe burned/blew a fuse? Just thought about this but can't remember if I disconnected the battery or not. I've ran a 1000 wires for a system and this is a first. =/

How does it behave as it dies? Does it sputter out choking on too much fuel? Or just immediately shut off? etc..
It literally just dies. Just turns off, maybe like its choking on fuel? Doesn't sputter. Seems like it just shuts off.

Another easy check is to look at your fuses...I can't think of anything that would cause those symptoms from a busted fuse but...it's easy enough either way, maybe one of them is half burnt and isn't supplying the correct amount of current, had some weird behavior on mine that I eventually traced back to a fuse.
I'll check the fuses today or tomorrow since its suppose to snow.

P.S. You should consider getting rid of that thing and get my eclipse instead
I'd love to, message me details and price. lol
Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 PM
Registered member

Changed the fuel pump and nothing. Help?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov

Get a multimeter and start testing for current and resistance on each wire from the ecu to whatever sensor it runs