Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

1974 Nova turns over but won't stay running

Old 08-23-2010, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BeefTwinkie has disabled reputation
Default 1974 Nova turns over but won't stay running

I've got a 1974 Chevy Nova with a 350 swap in it. A couples of weeks ago I was out driving it when it just cut out on me and wouldn't start back up, so I got it towed home. Yesterday I went out and started it and it idled fine for about 10 minutes. After that, I went to drive up and down the driveway and it immediately shut off when I let off the gas. When I tried to turn it over again, it would turn over and then immediately shut off. I turned it over again, and revved it a little and it shut off. So now I can't even get it to turn over and idle.

I was just seeing if anyone might have an idea of what the problem might be.

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 1974 Nova turns over but won't stay running

So far all we know about it is that it has a 350. I'm assuming it's got a carburetor? What type of fuel pump, what type of coil? When you say "wouldn't start back up" does that mean it won't crank at all, or does that mean it cranks but won't catch and idle?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:13 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Are you running the OE style dist or did someone pop an HEI in it? 74's had a point type, 75+ had HEI ignition.

The way you are describing it sounds like ignition, but ya gotta be a little more specific.

When it dies, can you pump the throttle and get fuel to squirt in the carb? pull the aircleaner, have someone pump the throttle a few times and see if its squirting fuel. If so, ya got fuel, no need to go further.

Have you checked to see if you are having spark when it is not running? I assume not, since you are asking for help on this board lol.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

gopher383 has disabled reputation

Hes a friend of mine. The car will run at idle, but as soon as you give it any gas it'll stall and then from there its a lost cause to get it in gear. When it was first driven the other day it made it maybe two blocks and died, then it turned over and went maybe another 20ft and died again. Now its not going more than a few feet if that before it dies.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

first off, HAIL TYPE O NEGATIVE!!! R.I.P. Pete.

i bought the car from a guy that had already done all the work, so i don't quite know everything about it. it's got an edelbrock intake, an aem carburetor, electric fuel pump, and i believe a crane cams ignition. the first time it stalled and didn't start back up, we discovered, was because of a weak battery. we hooked up a different battery and it turned over and idled fine. after i tried to drive it again and it shut off, it would turn over but almost immediately just cut back out.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

as i said, i'm not too sure about everything that's on it. the guy that sold me the car was pretty much building up a drag toy, so it could have a HEI ignition, but i can always double check.

we originally thought it was the fuel pump, so we pumped the throttle and it was squirting fuel.

we did not check the spark the other night, but i will try that next.