Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Battery dead on R6 question

Old 07-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dowhatiwant has disabled reputation
Default Battery dead on R6 question

I was riding today. Ive been normally turning my bike on and off. I did notice the cranks werent as fast when I started it this morning but it wasnt something that I was worried about because the bike still started easily. I think it was like that yesterday too but again the cranks were more than enough powerful to start the bike so I thought nothing of it.

With that being said it seems like this battery was drained completely just from todays ride alone. I did just replace my stator cover and I sprayed carb cleaner to clean off everything which I didnt think was a problem since the reason I replaced the cover was due to an oil leak. I don't know much about bikes but want to learn. If someone could come over or explain what could be the problem I would appreciate it. Noones open right now!!!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:53 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE
Default Re: Battery dead on R6 question

Last I checked, spraying carb cleaner/parts cleaner into an alternator/stator windings is a bad idea. I've killed several alternators doing that. I'm not sure if it applies to motorcycles since the stator is immersed in oil. Maybe skr00z or someone could chime in and give a better answer. John, PM me your number and I'll try to meet up with you to check it out.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:07 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

the carb cleaner may have eaten the coating off the stator windings.

stupid question, but did you plug the stator back in?

in any case checking a stator is pretty easy, let me know if you need a how-to. All you need is a volt meter.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

Maybe it's just me, bur knowing that oil is leaking from the stator cover tells me that the oil obviously coating the stator. I don't know why you would want to say carb cleaner inside anywhere where oil lubricates?
Old 07-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Registered member

dowhatiwant has disabled reputation

I guess I can test it. I will look up how to do that in the morning unless it's easy for someone on here to explain. How much do you think it's going to cost me?
Old 07-26-2009, 08:17 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

carb cleaner is VERY caustic (i.e.- it eats shit), just for future reference, if you need to clean something like that, use brake cleaner, not carb cleaner. Big difference.

to test the stator, unplug it, and check for continuity to ground on all 3 leads coming from it. If you have a ground, it's shorted. If it passes that test, start the bike (with the stator still unplugged), and check for (AC) voltage from every combination of the 3 leads, it should be damn near the same voltage across any of the 3 leads. Remember it's AC voltage though, not DC.

there's only 4 parts of a charging system (5 if you count the rotor, but I've only seen 2 go bad in the god-only-knows-how-many-years I've been working on bikes), a stator, a regulator/recifier, a battery, and the wiring connecting it all. 9 times out of 10 it's one of those things, or a combo of them. Electronics can be finicky, and alot of times when one thing goes bad, it can take out other parts.

hope that helps.