Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

bad idle...500 rpms?!? now battery is 100% dead?? :(

Old 04-15-2004, 11:55 AM
99 GSX Eclipse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
geesx has disabled reputation
Question bad idle...500 rpms?!? now battery is 100% dead?? :(

hey, i was wondering what could cause a car to idle at 500 rpms? my gfs gsx has been doing this for about a month and a 1/2 off and on, and the last week it's been at 500 idle everytime i've look at it.... last night when she would put in the clutch to stop her lights would dim out really bad... we parked the car for like a hour while we were at her house, came out to go get some food, and her car was dead.. 100% dead no lights would come on nothing it's like it had no battery at all! we took my car and i said i'd check it out in the morning. I went to the car today, jumped it off.. let it run for a few mins, and then took it for a drive to see how it was driving. well everytime i came to a stop it cut off! (no im not a bad 5spd driver) lucky it started back up when i turned the key. I drove it for about 7-10 miles, and everytime i put in the clutch it'd either die, or drop to like 100 rpms and then go back up to 500 and idle there sometimes it'd go up to maybe 700ish but never at 1k like my gsx does. I had to hold the gas down while breaking so the car wouldnt cut off as i slowed down. I was thinking it was a bad alt at 1st but can a bad alt make the idle dip down like that and make the car stall out? Please help me out here guys.. thanks!!

little info on the car.... 1999 Eclipse GSX, 5speed, about 60k miles, blew the turbo last nov, put in a new 16g, and 3" downpipe... thats about all the motor mods done to the car. it's not "raced" or treated like crap it's my gfs car she drive fast but never jumps off the line and trys to dog the car, it's mostly like on highway she'll drop it into 4th and fly past cars...

(this is eclpsed)
Old 04-15-2004, 11:55 AM
hostgator.com

flow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these parts
Default Re: bad idle...500 rpms?!? now battery is 100% dead?? :(

alternator, i didnt even read anything

mines going out and it idles at 500 often, my batteries fine though

you can hear the whine from the engine bay until the system is charged (soon as you crank car up youll near nothing, a second later youll hear a high pitched whine)
Old 04-15-2004, 12:10 PM
99 GSX Eclipse

kk.. i was thinking that but it i never knew they could make a car stall out, and have bad idle.. thanks!
Old 04-15-2004, 12:12 PM
hostgator.com

flow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these parts

mine stalls out VERY VERY rarely from it

I've had it going out for the past year, getting it rebuilt for $95 this weekend
Old 04-15-2004, 01:02 PM
99 GSX Eclipse

....new ones are like 80 bucks. (well 160 but you get like 70 back when you take in the old one)

..well for my car anyways!

Last edited by geesx; 04-15-2004 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:16 PM
hostgator.com

I believe my alternator is 160amp (v8)

Yours is probably 80-90
Old 04-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Big Poppa

hovocx hovocx hovocx

if the alternator isnt at fault, its the ISC, trust me i know, my car is having the exact same symptoms as your gf's

Idle Speed Controller, Idle Air Controller, Stepper MOtor, call it whatever you need to get it fixed :P