Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

dead battery

Old 05-09-2004, 04:21 AM
_______

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Question dead battery

My battery died last night. I went out to start my bike and it just tried turning over and the headlight just dimmed. Now my question is, if I jump the bike and get it started, and keep it running or ride it around for a few minutes will that recharge the battery enough?
Old 05-09-2004, 05:23 AM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6
Default Re: dead battery

Originally Posted by geonfreaq
My battery died last night. I went out to start my bike and it just tried turning over and the headlight just dimmed. Now my question is, if I jump the bike and get it started, and keep it running or ride it around for a few minutes will that recharge the battery enough?

I was told once a bike battery dies, thats it. You HAVE to get a new one. My boss told me this, he owns a cruiser. He also said you can get this "triple somethin charger" which you use to charge the battery whenever you dont ride, but he told me once they die, they are done, which is why u should charge them every now and again. The charger also has to be 12v and not 6v like car batteries?

I dont know, this was all something he and i just discussed recently, these other guys might know differently.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:39 AM
_______

yea they are trickle chargers so they keep the battery charged like over the winter. But its nice out and its sunday so I dont have a place to get a battery today but I still want to go ride.

Off topic here, did your boss tell you car batteries were 6V?
Old 05-09-2004, 05:56 AM
Registered Member

kwth8n has disabled reputation

i think auto zone tests batteries for free. if its bad they also sell motorcycle batteries so you can check them out that way you dont get stranded if it doesnt recharge from riding.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:04 AM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

Two things to know when it comes to bike batt's.........

1. They are just like car batteries. You can jump it or charge it and it might be perfectly fine for years to come; or it might not.

2. A bike battery won't get a charge at idle. You have to be above a certain RPM range for a certain amount of time before it will start charging. So everyone who thinks starting it in their driveway once a week in the winter and letting it sit there for 15 minutes and then shutting it off, thinking that it's getting charged is wrong. You're actually killing your battery when you do that.

It's better to just let your bike sit untouched over the winter for 4 months and then pull it out, change the oil, start her up and ride her for a couple hours. Your battery will then be fine. Or put it on a trickle charger the night before you'e gonna pull her out.

Another big misconception is that you need to buy the 100+ dollar sport bike battery................ya right. A battery is a battery is a battery. YOU can buy that 150 dollar Yuasa if you want to; but I'll stick with Adance Auto's brand myself.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:26 AM
_______

Yea Advance was the only place open today that had one on stock. Its sitting on the charger as we speak. I just wish it didnt take 10 housr to charge a new battery I wanted to ride today!
Old 05-09-2004, 08:24 AM
Patron

Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus

Originally Posted by geonfreaq
Yea Advance was the only place open today that had one on stock. Its sitting on the charger as we speak. I just wish it didnt take 10 housr to charge a new battery I wanted to ride today!
Jump it
Old 05-09-2004, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

car and bike batteries are 12v... also its not true that once they die they are died... if you let them die and recharge them this will effect their life, but doesn't mean its no good... also you can jump it, but if you do so with a car make sure the engine is OFF, w/ the car's alternator working thats just too much juice for the bike's electrical system

i put a cheap ass walmart battery in my old CBR and it worked fine
Old 05-10-2004, 02:22 AM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
car and bike batteries are 12v... also its not true that once they die they are died... if you let them die and recharge them this will effect their life, but doesn't mean its no good... also you can jump it, but if you do so with a car make sure the engine is OFF, w/ the car's alternator working thats just too much juice for the bike's electrical system

i put a cheap ass walmart battery in my old CBR and it worked fine
.............except: you can jump a bike from a car with the engine running. Just don't rev the engine on the car; just let it idle.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:40 AM
apex-digital.net

slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6

dont jump a bike from a car, bad idea, but u can jump start it yourself

Quick Reply: dead battery