Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

06 R6 battery dead. or not???

Old 09-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mr_wizard has disabled reputation
Default 06 R6 battery dead. or not???

I've had this bike for 3 months now without issues, until this obviously. I went to start it the other morning and the electronics turned on fine but when I went to start the motor, it turned over about twice and died completely. Turned it back off, then back on... no electronics....just a slowly fading neutral light. So I went to jump it with the friends car, started up fine. Ran for about 5 minutes to get a decent charge, unhooked the jumper cables and bike died instantly. Neutral light was on and again slowly died out.

Well fast forward a couple days I got a battery charger finally and verified it works by hooking the cables up and starting the bike... bike started fine. And for some odd reason it says the battery power is "high", like it's got a full charge??? So I let it sit and charge for about 2 hours, nothing. Absolutely nothing, no electronics or anything. Everywhere from the cables to the bike work fine obviously because you can start it with the charger plugged in, but with just the battery I get zilch. I'm out of ideas here... the charger says the battery has full power yet the bike won't start. Bike has seen VERY little water so the electronics couldn't be messed up, but it could be anything. Anyone have any ideas before I buy one of these $175 replacement batteries? Thanks everyone.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:22 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: 06 R6 battery dead. or not???

175 dollar battery?

either bike batteries have skyrocketed since last time i purchased one or they need to be giving you a reach-a-round with that one...

unless your going to a motorcycle shop ...like casey or sunrise...

check advance they carry motorcycle batteries
Old 09-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

Something about the batteries for these R6's makes them expensive as hell. Part number YTZ10S. I'd like to make sure whatever fucked over this battery, doesn't do it to my next one.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:55 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

it's expensive b/c it's a gell battery. 175 is still crazy though.

beyond that.. if you got it running and it dies when you unhook the cables, it's probably not charging. could be a bad reg/rec, a bad stator, or just a shit batt that won't take a charge.

if you're handy with a volt meter, pm me and I'll give you a run-down on how to check the pieces and narrow down your problem.

btw, a SLOW low amp charge is MUCH better for the batt than a high-amp "jump" start.

something about jap bikes, they crap stators and regulator/rectifiers more than anything else. you'd think the japanese, being all electronics happy, would know how to build shit like that better.

I can tell you though, that if you jumped it, and let it run, AND had it on the charger for a while, and it still has no juice off the cables, that battery is probably toast.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

Thanks skrooz, looks like it may be the batt. It got somewhat of a charge this morning after an all night charge and quickly sapped from just turning the elctronics on. Not enough juice for turning the motor over.

I'm wondering if I can pick up one of these shit 45$ batts from wally world until I get a good one in the mail.... (only mode of transportation)

EDIT: Would you trust this battery? http://www.batterystuff.com/batterie...e/sYTZ10S.html

Last edited by mr_wizard; 09-06-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:28 AM
boom tick boom tick

Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum

buy the cheap one for the time being... i had to replace mine on my bike before and just got one from yamaha and it was like 80 bucks i think
Old 09-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

SeanJohn has disabled reputation

I had this problem on my 07.

I took a volt meter and checked it out. and came to the conclusion to replace the battery.

I went to batteries plus on jefferson and got the correct battery for about 80.00

Hooked everything back up and had no issues.

once you have a new battery take a volt meter and bring up the rpm to about 4 grand and you can tell if your gonna have any future problems. (so i herd)

If you need a volt meter or help let me know.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

That's pretty much the case. batteries plus checked it out, they said it was having some bizarre read outs. Got a new one, so far so good.