Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Is Jeep heading in the right direction? Yes or No?

Old 04-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default Is Jeep heading in the right direction? Yes or No?

As we all know Jeep has come a long ways over the last couple of decades showing that a Jeep can not only be rugged, but stylish and fun to drive as well.
In 2007 Jeep will be offering 2 new and improved, if that is what you want to call it, vehicles to their lineup the Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot. Keep in mind last year was the year that they also unleashed other spinoff. The Jeep Commander to take over the Jeep Cherokee. Also in 2006 Jeep redesigned the Jeep Grand Cherokee to show a whole new side to the company.

Let's start with the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I can remember back in the day, the limited edition Jeep Grand Cherokees, my favorite being the black/gold combo with beastly V8. I wasn't a huge fan of the JGC and neither was the public so it seemed. Maybe it was due to the high cost of the "classier" Jeep. Anyways, in 2007 Jeep redesigned the JGC yet again to stun the US market. Chysler/Dodge is going nuts with slapping a Hemi into anything they can fit it into and then the same goes with the SRT name. Yeah the GC looks 10000 times more appealing than it ever has, yeah it makes more power than it ever has, and of course to top it all of... it cost way more than it ever has as well.

Next lets talk about the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Once a two door top down fun to drive kind of vehicle has some how turned into a Minivan on steriods. Ok so im sure not a lot of Jeep fanatics would like me calling their Wrangler a minivan, but just sit back and think about it. First they were 2 door with a 6 cylinder and barely enough room for big people in the rear seats. Now in 2007 they will be bringing out a 4 door version, what next?, remote open tail gates? I can understand that it makes it more appealing to larger families wanting to have the accesibility of 4 doors and still be able to take it off road. Didnt AMC try something like this back in the day with the Eagle? I will say this, the Jeep will come with a V6 which will help overcome the added weight of the vehicle. Honestly I dont see it being too much longer until the Wrangler gets the Hemi option. You know a lot of Jeep guys would jump to grab the V8 power and Tq.

Lets move onto Jeep Compass. What is this, serious... dont they know the Pontiac Aztek is junk? This is exactly what it reminds me of. Just another Minivan on steriods with buldgy body panels that look like they are from the Avalanche. This Jeep with come with a 2.4L 172hp engine that will most likely not have the balls to get out of it's own way. Also this will be from my understanding the first fwd vehicle although they will offer a 2.0L turbo and 4wd.

Now to the Patriot. Im going to make a good assumption that this is just the bigger version of the Liberty. It looks the same only bigger.. go figure. The problem I have with this is it will be FWD and have a 2.4L engine. Yes you have the option of 4WD as well as any other Jeep vehicle. But to keep a 4 cylinder motor in it will just make 4wd worthless.

So a run down of what I like and dislike of the Jeep line up:

The Likes
Wrangler Unlimited:
The v6 option, 3 piece hardtop, Electronic Roll Mitigation, 4 Wheel Disc, Electronic Sway Bar disconnects.

Patriot:
ESP.... and that is about it

Commander:
The engine options, 3.7L, 4.7L, or Hemi. ESP with ERM.

Grand Cherokee:
The new styling, the Hemi option, the comfort and interior styling

The Dislikes
Wrangler Unlimited:
The overall look, it doesnt look like it would do well with such a long wheel base on trails. The overall cost.

Patriot:
Just the lack of power, styling, and options. It has a whole list of lack imo

Commander:
To boxy, I thought the Cherokee had decent style for being so boxy.. but the Commander is over the edge.

Grand Cherokee:
I really like this vehicle, and have yet to find very much I dont like about it.

What is your input on Jeeps progress to regain the younger market along with tackling the family market as well.

http://www.jeep.com/vehicles.html
Old 04-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Home, finally

Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012
Default Re: Is Jeep heading in the right direction? Yes or No?

The compass and patriot I dislike most. I really don't think there's much more they should do with their current vehicles' styling as I do believe they are the best in their class (IMO). Dodge/Plymoth/Chrysler/Eagle as I found have had great success in the past, from what I learned working there. For example, the Dodge Caravan has been here for over 25 years... what other maker has had ONE mini-van?
Old 04-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Blood Money

turbo9mm is an unknown quantity at this point

jeep just feels they are now at the end of the pack and that they have to bring out some new designs to run with hummer and the other manufactors now. I just think they are trying to hard and that they are starting to have shitty vehicles.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by turbo9mm
bring out some new designs to run with hummer and the other manufactors now
How else would you explain the GIGANTIC Commander?

Was there a longer than usual wheelbase Rubicon? I saw one at a restaraunt here a while back and it looked like it was noticeably longer wheelbase than a standard Wrangler.