Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Suspension issue

Old 09-29-2015, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
award78 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Suspension issue

Originally Posted by 91tegrsjg
no offense, no clue who you are so I don't think I'd be letting a total stranger touch my car.
No offense taken, I was just joking man. I assumed that would be weird. Sorry to clutter up your thread, I didn't realize so many people would be pissed off from a total of two posts this far, but I should post less??

I had a similar incident with a curb in an s2000, couldn't get alignment and everything looked straight. I ended up taking some measurements on the knuckle (from arms of the knuckle to the rotor on driver and pass. sides for comparison) and turns out one arm measured slightly different than the left side(I forget how much). But that's basically how I determined my knuckle was bent. Different car but maybe that might help you rule out a bent knuckle.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Black girls love me!

91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg

So I went and got the car looked at (only cost me $20) and got two estimates, a little over $600 for salvaged and low end parts. On the other end, it was almost $1100 for OEM parts.

The damage was; the front right knuckle and the strut were bent. I know with the Mk6, the bearing is part of the hub assembly and is bolted to the knuckle. Would it be wise to replace that as well just incase the races in the bearing may be damaged? Second question, I have Nationwide, how hard is it going to be to get them to take the estimate for the better quality parts? Seeing as I have never had an accident with them in the whole time I have ever had them, I was hoping they would okay it.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:37 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by 91tegrsjg
So I went and got the car looked at (only cost me $20) and got two estimates, a little over $600 for salvaged and low end parts. On the other end, it was almost $1100 for OEM parts.

The damage was; the front right knuckle and the strut were bent. I know with the Mk6, the bearing is part of the hub assembly and is bolted to the knuckle. Would it be wise to replace that as well just incase the races in the bearing may be damaged? Second question, I have Nationwide, how hard is it going to be to get them to take the estimate for the better quality parts? Seeing as I have never had an accident with them in the whole time I have ever had them, I was hoping they would okay it.
I would definitely replace that wheel bearing with the rest of it, even if insurance doesn't pay for it.

On the second part, an insurance company can suggest that you go to certain repair facilities, and I think they can even make you get a quote there, but it is illegal for them to force you to get the repair done somewhere. It is ultimately your choice where to go, and going somewhere that uses all OEM, especially for a car that new, isn't really unreasonable.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:42 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yeah, go with OEM and replace the wheel bearing. Also replace the ball joint, but that may already come as part of the control arm if it's OEM so may already be included.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Too Old To Care

smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave

Good luck, I hope you called the police and made a report. If not, you sir are out the cash to repair. Had these yo yo's for 20 yrs with no claims, wife had a nice sized ticket and they cancelled. They charged PREMIUM rates as well. After this, we went somewhere else at half the cost, better coverage, same A++ rating.
Regards
Dave

Last edited by smilin dave; 10-21-2015 at 04:11 PM. Reason: brain fade