VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   Suspension issue (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/suspension-issue-490252/)

91tegrsjg 09-21-2015 10:14 AM

Suspension issue

So last week I got ran off the off the road by what I assume was a drunk driver. Ended up hitting a curb pretty hard. it was obvious the alignment was out of whack. I just had the car aligned at Racewerks. The toe was off by a lot and the camber was off. Once the toe was adjusted the camber went to -2.22. Now it pulls really hard to the right. Dan assumes the strut is bent. There is no visible sign of damage. Does anyone have an idea? Oh and it is a 2011 GTI

Yardjass 09-21-2015 11:10 AM

Re: Suspension issue

Have you or anyone else gotten it up on a lift and looked at it? I think those are macpherson struts in the front so that would make sense. Only other thing I could think of is a fucked up bushing somewhere if you can't see any visible damage on the control arms.

91tegrsjg 09-21-2015 11:37 AM

yeah it was on the lift when we were looking at it

Fabrik8 09-21-2015 02:38 PM

You likely bent the strut. You probably want to check the control arm as well, and the subframe mounts. Once it's aligned, a bent strut rod can turn and take a completely different position when you change direction in a turn, etc. Usually you can feel something shifting around when you turn right versus left, etc., as the strut rod rotates to a different equilibrium position with the change in load.

smilin dave 09-21-2015 02:42 PM

I personally would start disassembling the front of this car until I found the issue. I would hate to be behind you in a 62k lb truck when the suspension decided to have a major failure. This could happen tomorrow, I will be in the area in the am. Come on , REALLY? You really have to ask? Please take it apart until the offending part is found and replaced or become road pizza when it fails.
Warmest Regards
Dave

Yardjass 09-21-2015 05:10 PM

Yep, and make your fucking insurance pay for it all because fuck footing that bill.

91tegrsjg 09-23-2015 11:27 AM

well if the repair is less than my deductible, ill do it myself. the only problem is I have one working hand

award78 09-24-2015 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by 91tegrsjg (Post 8364311)
well if the repair is less than my deductible, ill do it myself. the only problem is I have one working hand

I'd lend you a hand if I were closer:D

Hooch 09-24-2015 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by award78 (Post 8364349)

You should lurk more and post less.

91tegrsjg 09-24-2015 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by award78 (Post 8364349)

no offense, no clue who you are so I don't think I'd be letting a total stranger touch my car.