Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Power Problems

Old 01-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Its a Man part.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Power Problems

Ok so my buddy had to drive my car alittle while ago and he stalled it like two times before he even got moving (I know I know). So after that the batt light went on. About aday later I was driving my car at night and I noticed my car lights and interior lights were dim. When I got near my house my car started to die... I got it parked and let it sit for a little bit and it started right up. I let it run and about 3 mins later the lights dimmed and it died again. I let it sit again and started it and once again it did the same thing... Then I let it sit and it wouldnt even turn over.. it would just click. Im thinking its either the alternator, Batt or map sensor... I checked all the grounds and everything looked stright. I was just wondering if you guys have any imput as to what it might be. Thanks in advance.

Car is a 1990 Civic 4-door OBD-0
With a B16a
Old 01-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

ethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Power Problems

sounds like a dead alternator to me
Old 01-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

A map sensor won't make the lights dim.

It's probably either a bad alternator not charging the battery, or a power or ground cable problem. If you can get the car running, check the charging voltage and also check the voltage directly at the battery with the engine off. It shouldn't be too hard to track down what's wrong.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:58 AM
Its a Man part.

8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute

ok thanks alot guys.. I thought it was an alternator to but I wasnt sure... will an alternator from a LS or B20 bolt up to a B16?
Old 01-07-2009, 06:22 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You're going to troubleshoot before you replace the alternator, right? The alternator could very well NOT be the problem, so don't blindly start replacing stuff without some direction first.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:35 AM
Do You Want More?

Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only

if you can get it jumpstarted, just take it to autozone or advanced (any big box car parts place) and have them test the alternator. the test also tests the battery. that narrows your search in no time.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL

could be the battery or battery terminals also. Pop the hood maybe? Then when you cant figure it out get it checked as previously stated.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Its a Man part.

Originally Posted by ILLEGAL
could be the battery or battery terminals also. Pop the hood maybe? Then when you cant figure it out get it checked as previously stated.
Popped the hood.. I checked all the grounds and they were all stright... which is why I posted this.. but thanks
Old 01-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Banned

MajorsEF will become famous soon enough

i have the same exact problem i got it started and if i try to turn lights on the car does. i brought a new alternator. befoe you do check your belt, your plug, and the ground. good luck
Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Racetracks

Check the resistance and voltage drop across the grounds. Just being tight doesn't mean anything; often you can't apply mechanical testing methods to electrical parts.

For example, my WRX ground connection failed from corrosion between the block and the cable terminal, and everything was tight. There was a voltage drop of a few volts between the block and the battery ground, and I just tracked it from there. My symptoms were identical to yours, it would just click instead of turning over, and the lights were dim.

I'm glad I didn't blindly replace the alternator, because that would have solved exactly nothing. Now do you understand what I'm saying about troubleshooting first? It could be the alternator, but it could be something else instead.

Learn how to find problems instead of learning how to buy and replace parts.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-07-2009 at 10:28 AM.