Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

P28 on a B18C1

Old 07-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: P28 on a B18C1

Originally Posted by grant90
When the shop finished the swap I figured that they had given me the P72 ECU from the donor car and to my suprise, they didn't. If I did have the OBD1 ECU form the GS-R will it still be compatible with my cruise control and everything else the runs off of my p28??
Yeah, it's a direct replacement, wiring is the same. A P72 has a knock sensor wire (just like a P30) and it also has an extra wire for the secondary butterfly control (that the stock GSR manifold has). So if you still have the stock dual runner GSR intake manifold, you want to use a P72. All you would need to do is check that those two wires are run from the ECU to the engine, because they may or may not be depending on which type of harness was used for the engine swap. Your engine already has a knock sensor on it, but the P28 isn't using it (it doesn't have a knock sensor board).

If you use a P72, you don't have to have it chipped/tuned unless you want to. The stock P72 maps are obviously the right maps for that engine, so that's perfectly fine for that engine.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:31 AM
Registered Member

grant90 has disabled reputation

Thanks.
Originally Posted by Str8EJ
I don't see how the stock two stage intake manifold is working properly with the P28.
Pretty sure your motor is running in less than optimal condition.
In the long run, the programmable aftermarket ECU is the way to go.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:33 AM
Registered Member

For the time-being I plan on keeping the engine stock, I may get a new intake manifold and some cams. The real modifying won't come till after I'm out of school. (I'd hate to drop a ton of money into it, and then it's gets stolen.)
^ true, if all he wants is to KEEP it stock.
Chip the P28 or buy a stock P72.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:55 AM
Registered Member

Fabrik8, you've been great help. Thanks!!
I'll be giving the parts house a call today and see if they still have the ECU and hopefully they won't make me pay for it. For the secondary butterflies, I've read that they open around 6000rpm correct and I assume that I would hear them open or feel a boost in power once they open? I'm hoping I can just get a p72 cause personally I think it'll be a waste to get my ecu chipped for something as basic as that, especially since I plan on keeping it a stock engine for a while.
Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Yeah, it's a direct replacement, wiring is the same. A P72 has a knock sensor wire (just like a P30) and it also has an extra wire for the secondary butterfly control (that the stock GSR manifold has). So if you still have the stock dual runner GSR intake manifold, you want to use a P72. All you would need to do is check that those two wires are run from the ECU to the engine, because they may or may not be depending on which type of harness was used for the engine swap. Your engine already has a knock sensor on it, but the P28 isn't using it (it doesn't have a knock sensor board).

If you use a P72, you don't have to have it chipped/tuned unless you want to. The stock P72 maps are obviously the right maps for that engine, so that's perfectly fine for that engine.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:02 AM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

A base map is just the best-case starting point using a stock ECU program. I have no clue what you're talking about when you're saying a base map is "1 dimensional". The ECU program code is the same... If you made a naturally aspirated B16, you'd use a P30 program as a base map and then tweak those maps from there.
By the way, a 1 dimensional map isn't a map at all. Maps are at least two dimensional, because they're a table/matrix. If it's one dimensional, it's a vector.
A base map is not a tune and thats what i was getting at. we both already said and agreed that he is better off running a stock ecu because it will compensate itself to be right for the engine, the AFR's won't be just a "guess" and a shot in the dark.

Obviously the tune itself is not 1 dimensional, you read too much into that statement. I was using that as an illustration to explain that the stock ECU will adjust itself to be right at all times as if it were "3D", and the basemap will not change to compensate when needed, as if it were "1D". Simple vs. complex...

I agree that if he was to go get an actual tune, and needed something to get him going so he could drive to a tuning shop, then a base map would be fine, but there are people telling him to "just get a base map"
If you waste all that money to get an ECU, and a chip kit, and pay someone to chip it just to put a stock base map on it vs paying for a stock ecu, then you are retarded.

Last edited by NasTHatch; 07-30-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Str8EJ has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
A base map is not a tune and thats what i was getting at. we both already said and agreed that he is better off running a stock ecu because it will compensate itself to be right for the engine, the AFR's won't be just a "guess" and a shot in the dark.

If you waste all that money to get an ECU, and a chip kit, and pay someone to chip it just to put a stock base map on it vs paying for a stock ecu, then you are retarded.
Are you suggesting a basemap can't adjust for fuel or timing?
Also, re-read the original post - he already has a P28 ECU.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:18 AM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Are you suggesting a basemap can't adjust for fuel or timing?
Also, re-read the original post - he already has a P28 ECU.
with the o2 sensor disabled no it will not, and if it is enabled, it does not adjust at WOT

Read bold print in Fabrik8's post

If the P28 isn't chipped, you're running on a D16Z6 program, which isn't really great for running a B18C1. So it at least needs to be chipped with something like a P30 program (with the knock sensor disabled). This isn't really about fuel economy, this is about safely running your engine with something that is a much better approximation of the maps that it SHOULD be running with.

So yes, get it tuned. Efficiency will follow.

Last edited by NasTHatch; 07-30-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

Str8EJ has disabled reputation

Fabrik's post suggested getting it tuned as an option. I also recommend this option.
Disabling the O2, on the other hand, is the stupidest option so far mentioned. Why would you even mention it in this context?
It would be the knock sensor which, due to the P28's incapacity, would be disabled were he to chip it with a factory-like P72 basemap.

Additionally, the cost of taking his existing ECU and chipping it with a basemap is not that much greater than buying another ECU.
That is an economic decision which the OP can make based on his marketplace.

Thanks for signing your neg rep.