Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

No one can tell me the truth bout short shifters..

Old 04-11-2006, 05:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No one can tell me the truth bout short shifters..

Alright,

Most of you know, I have a B16a with a LS tranny. I have a short shifter is the biggest thing I wanna talk about right now. Well My tranny hasn't been gay like this ever. It only does it once in a while. Alot of people say short shifters fuck with your tranny. Alright, So I was getting on my car a little bit and I went to get second gear, It grinded so i stopped. I tried it again, it grinded but went into gear. Well It hasn't done this before, So i said hmm...I tried it one more time and it went in without bitching. My question is will a Short shifter really fuck your tranny up? Also, dont bitch about the stupid tranny combo....I know it's dumb...I didn't do it. I just want to know "the truth" bout short shifters...
Old 04-11-2006, 06:04 AM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL
Default Re: No one can tell me the truth bout short shifters..

I have had a short shifter for 8 years with no issues, ever. On everything from d series trannys to b series to lsd, no problems. With and without trans mount bushing upgrades.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:05 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

according to many people short shifters fuck your tranny up by putting the car in gear before its supposed to , my argument is, how the fuck did they determine when the car is supposed to go into gear, that kinda doesnt make any sense to me, shifting at an rpm is shifting at an rpm, although i do understand why they say it because of the shorter distance to the gear it can wear the synchros and teeth out prematurely and the added torque load on the main shaft because the engine didnt have time to drop rpm to reduce the speed and load on the gear, but if you shift at 6k rpm with a stock shifter and lets say it catches at 5.5k rpm, how much of a difference is that if your shifting at 6krpm with a short shifter and it catches at 5.7k rpm, is that slight difference in time and torque load really going to make a difference, maybe over a long period of time i guess it could.and the argument that short shifters force the car into gear instead of letting the syncrhos do there job of easing transition of the change but i cant argue with that cause that makes sense, all i know is ive use a short shifter in every car ive ever had and never had a problem, they have all be b&m short shifters so i think ill stick with that and hopefully the problem stays away,ha.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:39 AM
Banned

Well hmm. I will be getting a new tranny soon anyway's so I think I might just go with a B&m Short throw, instead of this unknown shit. I forgot to mention, I forgot who said this but, "the shorter the shifter is, the more itll fuck up" but from what your saying, I guess it could. Well, Hell I don't know I guess I'll just do some more research and see what I can find. I appreciate your response's!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 07:55 AM
I'm still slow.....

ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR

Only reason I have a short shifter is because it came in the car when I bought it. Otherwise I'd be using the stock shifter. I don't see a reason to have it, it didn't make a difference in my 1/4mile times. It hasn't F'd any of my trannies using one.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZeroMR
Only reason I have a short shifter is because it came in the car when I bought it. Otherwise I'd be using the stock shifter. I don't see a reason to have it, it didn't make a difference in my 1/4mile times. It hasn't F'd any of my trannies using one.

Yeah same here, I didn't pay anything for it. It came with the car. Every car I have ever owned, has had a short shifter in it. I'm wondering if im low on tranny fluid as well??? Cause When I go to put my car back in first at 15mph or a lil above that itll be like GRINDDDDDDDDD???? It's a LS tranny from a 90 DA. I don't know why a b16 tranny didn't come with the swap....
Old 04-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL

short shifters only f up trannys from the driver being lazy, and shifting wrong
Old 04-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Illegal
short shifters only f up trannys from the driver being lazy, and shifting wrong
Like, not pressing the clutch all the way down to the floor, if that;s the case, Doesn't apply to me
Old 04-11-2006, 09:45 AM
±RepLegion

92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20

Did you install it, and is it just a handle or a 'shift kit'
Old 04-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 90_VertGT
Did you install it, and is it just a handle or a 'shift kit'
No I didn't install it, It came on the car when I bought it. It's just a Short throw Shifter. Nothing else.

Quick Reply: No one can tell me the truth bout short shifters..