Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

FTV problems

Old 11-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda
Default FTV problems

Theres got to be someone out there who has had this problem before...

I drive a 1995 civic coupe ex. I have put about 10,000 on my swap which is a B16A2 out of a 97 del sol. I have been having this problem with my idle for the longest time and cannot get it fixed. when i start the car cold, the idle jumps up to 2000rpm, and as the car warms up it goes down to normal. when it gets to about 1350 it jumps up and down until it can rest at 1000 and finally slow down to a normal 700ish rpm. we have narrowed the problem down to a malfunctioning fast thermal valve. i have had it cleaned twice now and each time it helps a little but not really much at all.

i have tried to replace the valve, which there were three different ones made for the B16A2. Ordered the first one, it lined up right but the bolt pattern was wrong.
Ordered the 2nd one and again lined up right but the bolt pattern was wrong.
same with the third try.
soooooo...wtf do i do if the parts for it to get fixed dont have the right bolt patter...
if i were to order a new throttle body, would it come with the FITV and the IACV already on it, or would it be bare? I just want this headache gone!

also found this thread on honda swap.com...check it out and see if this would be a way i could try to fix the proiblem.
http://hondaswap.com/hybrid-eg-ek-dc...t-idle-101169/

ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED! thanks in advance
-Derek

Last edited by derekuda; 11-05-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: put link in
Old 11-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

SmokeCRX has disabled reputation
Default Re: FTV problems

I'm not sure what you're doing but....you cant clean the fast idle valve. Are you trying to replace the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV)? The Fast Idle valve...is on the bottom of the throttle body. It in itself can cause this problem. But...there are 2 other possibilities. 1. an intake leak...or 2. a buble in the cooling system. Whens the last time u checked your coolant level?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Registered member

derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda derekuda

i checked it today, it was a bit low. and sorry, i dont really know a whole lot about engines etc, this is just what driskill has told me, as well as another trusted mechanic. is there any way i can troubleshoot these things to find a leak that may be causing it?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

The first thing u should do is fill the cooling sytem... pressure check it for any leaks..and assuming u dont have any... bleed it of any bubbles. They sell this funnel that screws on in place of your radiator cap and you can fill it and run the engine and wait for all the bubbles come out. Its the best way to bleed the system. I usually run them until the cooling fans turn on. This is adequate time for the thermostat to open and the coolant to flow through and release all the air. If the bleeding of the cooling system doent fix your problem...after that I would check for intake leaks. Check for loose or cracked vacuum hoses. Then isf all the hoses check out...pick up a can of brakleen or carb cleaner and spray down your intake manifold. I dont mean like you're cleaning it. You pay special attention to gasket places like the manifold to the head or where your IACV mounts (back of the intake) it has a gasket (and if you've had it off and not replaced the gasket?). If you dont find any intake leaks... I would go to your local Honda dealer and tell them you need a fast idle valve for a '97 DOHC Vtec Del Sol. Make sure to tell them it has three screw that attach it to the bottom of the throttle body (as some parts personnel are idiots and dont know what a Fast Idle vale is...). If you Bleed the coolant...check for Vacuum leaks...and replace the Fast Idle and you dont fix it... I'd like to see it cuz I've never had one that didnt have one of these three issues. Good luck bro.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Registered member

good info, thanks man!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

No prob bro...LMK how it turns out.