Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

drivetrain noises

Old 07-07-2006, 05:18 PM
TSSSSSSSSSSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos
Default drivetrain noises

First of all it's a 1993 miata with a manual transmission.

When I first give any throttle from a stop or from slowing down in any real capacity, I get this metallic clanky clunky kind of noise. It's just one hit, then its fine (kind of). When coasting or riding at a steady speed, theres is a high pitched whine/squeel that sounds like metal spinning against metal. It's not terribly loud and it comes in gradually. While it's doing this, i can put in the clutch, rev up a bit and release the clutch kinda fast, this makes the afore mention clunk noise but stops the whining temporarily. Also, when accelerating in a higher gear, there is a low kind of rumbly sound. It gets less prominent as the rpms climb and isn't really present in the lower gears.

All of these noises sound like they're comming from the transmission/clutch area. I think maybe its a gap in the drivetrain or something.

Possible factors..
I didn't know if it could be the clutch or not, but it probably needs to be changed. I don't know if something in there got loose and is sliding back and forth with load or if that's even possible.
Also I'm pretty sure my clutch slave cylinder is leaking.

I did what investigating I could. I couldn't see any fluids anywhere except water. I couldn't very easily see where the drive train connected to the driveshaft, but it looked right, but admittadly, I don't know what it's supposed to look like. I did see, right above where the drive shaft hooks up the the tranny, a bell shaped inset that had an attachment from the tranny/driveshaft going up inside it. It looks like there was a boot/seal there that has deterierated. I don't know it this could be a cause or an effect of what has been suggested. I only checked the driver side because my jack/jack stand system is flawed and tiring so I ran out of steam. Plus there are at least 3 wasp nests now on the miata since it gets driven so rarely. I hate wasps.

Of course eventually I'll take it to a shop, but I'd like to at least try to get an idea of what it could be. If possible I'd like to do it myself, but I get the feeling it's beyond my abilities. Also, if I can get any replacement parts before the shop makes me buy em through them, that's helpfull.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:42 AM
TSSSSSSSSSSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos
Default Re: drivetrain noises

bump?