Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

D Series Swap Questions

Old 09-21-2009, 08:22 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE
Default D Series Swap Questions

Okay, so here's the story of my Dads Civic.

We bought it back in '03 for $1200, bad head gasket. I took the head off, sent it to the head-shop and they tell me it's cracked. I snag a new engine from The Parts House, but it's a D15B2, the old engine was a D15B7, main difference being the B2 was DPFI, I simply switched the intake manifold, dizzy, exhaust manifold and the driver side mount and it fit and ran fine for the next 6 years.

Two weeks ago I went to start it and the timing belt slipped 4 teeth. I re-timed and now there's no compression, bent valves.

Now we have a new engine for it, it's a D16Z6. It has a 5spd P28 ECU, no distributor and no throttle body. If I can't get the B7 throttle body to mount to the Z6 intake manifold I'm going to swap the whole manifold. I hear I can use the B7 distributor but only 1 bolt will be holding it in place, I have to hollow out the other two holes more to use them.

My main concern is the wiring for VTEC and the distributor. The engine harness still has the original Z6 wiring for VTEC there, but are they on my chassis harness? Or do I have to add them?

The 5spd P28 ECU won't control the automatic transmission right? I'd need an auto P28 ECU Correct?

Anything else I might have missed? As for now we just want the car up and running, having VTEC and everything isn't as imperative as I know a few people who've run their Z6s on the B7 ECU and Dizzy for months before they found all their parts to make everything functional.

Any info would be a great help.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

WheelPowerRacin has disabled reputation
Default Re: D Series Swap Questions

I have a p28 Auto ECU I'd trade for the manual p28 ecu, if needed. You didn't list the year and country of manufacture of the chassis on your post. I do not know the answer, but I have read in other postings that all 95's (?) were chassis wired for VTEC and all Canadian (?) EG's were chassis wired for VTEC. There is so much misinformation out there, but for someone who does know to respond those details are important. RyWire has some good diagrams that will help you if you need to run the wires. RyWire.com

Last edited by WheelPowerRacin; 09-21-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:12 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE
Default Re: D Series Swap Questions

PMd