Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Car audio Gurus....help please!

Old 03-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U
Default Car audio Gurus....help please!

Alright, so Im putting together a real simple stereo system for the GF's car and have no idea what I need or anything like that...just know that I need a head unit and speakers. Looking at Crutchfield, I found good deals on front and rear alpine components and buying a sony head unit from a friend out here. My question is, are the speakers basically plug and play? Or do I need installation hardware such as wires as well? And do i need an amp to power everything? I really have no clue...lol. The car its going on is a 2001 Corolla. Basically, what should I do to get a simple system set up? She doesnt need something to like shake the ground...but something better than the stock system with an FM player. The whole premise of this upgrade is to give her a head unit that has aux/usb input which the sony deck has. Any hints, tips, advice?
Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
Default Re: Car audio Gurus....help please!

Originally Posted by GOOKY4U
blah blah blah I'm lazy. Any hints, tips, advice?
Google.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Lord H loves me

nissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these parts

you won't need an amp for just speakers unless you want them to sound better and are you just replacing the stock speakers or installing more?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U

Yea. Im just replacing the car system. The car still has the factory am/fm/tape player deck and stock speakers. So Im just basically replacing the factory components. If I add a sub, I would need an amp for sure right? And is adding a sub worth it?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:54 PM
misunderstood.

s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin

Originally Posted by GOOKY4U
Yea. Im just replacing the car system. The car still has the factory am/fm/tape player deck and stock speakers. So Im just basically replacing the factory components. If I add a sub, I would need an amp for sure right? And is adding a sub worth it?
That's up to you if a sub is worth it. Do you want louder bass? Also, you'll most likely have to replace the factory deck if you plan on installing a sub, and speakers etc. Atleast I would...there's no point in upgrading all the other stuff, unless your speakers are blown, to not be able to do what you want to do. Are you just looking for better sound, or trying to beat the block down? There's many different options on which you could do. Explain more.

Example: in my 1999 Honda Civic Si, I had 1 10" Rockford Fosgate T1 Sub in a ported box, with a 500watt Rockford Fosgate amp running 4 gauge wire with a Pioneer Premier indash, and it's the loudest thing I've ever heard to my ears so far. Oh and some Polk speakers It got up real loud, but that's what I wanted.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Lord H loves me

nissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these partsnissantrill is infamous around these parts

you will need an amp for the sub, and i agree with s2katin, i wouldn't replace the speakers if they aren't blown. You shouldn't need anything for the stereo that doesn't come with it either unless your wires aren't long enough to reach the new wiring harness, in which you may need to buy an extension from walmart for like 8 bucks