Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

I need you car care gurus to get in here (car cover question)

Old 05-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher
Default I need you car care gurus to get in here (car cover question)

Well...if i had the choice, my car would be garaged...but since thats not a option at this point i was thinking about getting a nice car cover (if there is such a thing).

Anyone know where I could get a nice cover?

Like one that wont scratch in the wind...and will protect against a lot of the elements.

What are the best materials for them to be made out of? (im guessing forms of microfiber, but who knows)

Im not a huge fan of the way soft gaurd feels...seems like it could scratch.

Iv been doing alot of research on the subject for a week or so now but any outside info would be great.

Heres one site Iv been looking at:

http://www.customcarcovers.com/search.php

Last edited by Muncher; 05-20-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:53 PM
ermahgerd

bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada
Default Re: I need you car care gurus to get in here (car cover question)

If its a newer car, usually you can purchase a car cover thats made for the car from the dealership. If not, then i dont know.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Registered member

Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall

I just bought a coverking outdoor car cover from www.car-stuff.com shold be here in a couple weeks. The prices at that site are a little cheaper than the one you are looking at i think.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

It's been my experience that any car cover will scratch, or at least scuff the paint from the constant rustling on the paint.

When my car stayed outside, I just washed it frequently. I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but I'm about as anal as they come and that's what I did. The wear and tear induced by the cover was something that wasn't acceptable to me. Not to mention, they always blew off.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:45 AM
Registered Member

csullivan has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by XCELR8
It's been my experience that any car cover will scratch, or at least scuff the paint from the constant rustling on the paint.
It's true. Any car cover will generate minor swirling and webbing in the clear, no matter how soft it is. Contaminates from driving the car still exist betwen the cover and the paint, and that is what will act as an abrasive, not the cover material itself.

What a cover will do though is improve the longevity of the interior. So for many people, it's worth it to have to do a fine polish every month or so to remove the swirling in exchange for having an interior that doesn't fade from sun exposure.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:39 AM
ermahgerd

bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada

mine has never blown off cuz i use a bungee cord across the bottom to hold the two sides down.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:43 AM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

www.calcarcover.com

Enough said
Old 05-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by bumada
mine has never blown off cuz i use a bungee cord across the bottom to hold the two sides down.
You haven't had strong enough wind then.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

SDM For Life SDM For Life SDM For Life SDM For Life SDM For Life

anyone ever try using a camping style tent? Some old neighbors of mine used to keep thier two bikes in such a tent at all times.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

put a good wax on the car before putting the cover on and you should be fine.

Quick Reply: I need you car care gurus to get in here (car cover question)