VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   I need you car care gurus to get in here (car cover question) (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/i-need-you-car-care-gurus-get-here-car-cover-question-238321/)

Muncher 05-20-2008 01:35 PM

I need you car care gurus to get in here (car cover question)

Well...if i had the choice, my car would be garaged...but since thats not a option at this point i was thinking about getting a nice car cover (if there is such a thing).

Anyone know where I could get a nice cover?

Like one that wont scratch in the wind...and will protect against a lot of the elements.

What are the best materials for them to be made out of? (im guessing forms of microfiber, but who knows)

Im not a huge fan of the way soft gaurd feels...seems like it could scratch.

Iv been doing alot of research on the subject for a week or so now but any outside info would be great.

Heres one site Iv been looking at:

http://www.customcarcovers.com/search.php

bumada 05-20-2008 03:53 PM

Re: I need you car care gurus to get in here (car cover question)

If its a newer car, usually you can purchase a car cover thats made for the car from the dealership. If not, then i dont know.

Digger70chall 05-20-2008 06:47 PM

I just bought a coverking outdoor car cover from www.car-stuff.com shold be here in a couple weeks. The prices at that site are a little cheaper than the one you are looking at i think.

Brock Obama 05-20-2008 07:32 PM

It's been my experience that any car cover will scratch, or at least scuff the paint from the constant rustling on the paint.

When my car stayed outside, I just washed it frequently. I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but I'm about as anal as they come and that's what I did. The wear and tear induced by the cover was something that wasn't acceptable to me. Not to mention, they always blew off.

csullivan 05-21-2008 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by XCELR8 (Post 4132397)
It's been my experience that any car cover will scratch, or at least scuff the paint from the constant rustling on the paint.

It's true. Any car cover will generate minor swirling and webbing in the clear, no matter how soft it is. Contaminates from driving the car still exist betwen the cover and the paint, and that is what will act as an abrasive, not the cover material itself.

What a cover will do though is improve the longevity of the interior. So for many people, it's worth it to have to do a fine polish every month or so to remove the swirling in exchange for having an interior that doesn't fade from sun exposure.

bumada 05-21-2008 08:39 AM

mine has never blown off cuz i use a bungee cord across the bottom to hold the two sides down.

travisnd 05-21-2008 08:43 AM

www.calcarcover.com

Enough said

Brock Obama 05-21-2008 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by bumada (Post 4133560)
mine has never blown off cuz i use a bungee cord across the bottom to hold the two sides down.

You haven't had strong enough wind then.

SDM For Life 11-05-2009 11:41 AM

anyone ever try using a camping style tent? Some old neighbors of mine used to keep thier two bikes in such a tent at all times.

Daft Punk 11-05-2009 11:42 AM

put a good wax on the car before putting the cover on and you should be fine.