Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

C5 Corvette Electrical problem: SOLVED

Old 11-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1aznTT 1aznTT 1aznTT
C5 Corvette Electrical problem: SOLVED

After a long time of pondering, researching and playing, I finally got to actually TRYING to fix this electrical issue i've been having. I got serious about it, and after an hour or so, I figured the problem.
The resistor in the key wasn't being read properly, as the "spring" which brings the tiny contact plate within the cylinder was getting stuck on occasion.

When you place the key into the cylinder to start the car, if you do not cock the key at an angle and apply pressure to one side while it enters the cylinder, sometimes the spring loaded plate will not touch the resistor chip and the ohm reading will not be correct, thus the car thinks it is being stolen.

Temporary solution: apply pressure to the key while you place it into the cylinder swiftly to one side or the other (a flat side of the key, giving it a different angle, thus connecting the "circuit" and allowing the proper ohm reading).

Full solution: Replace cylinder - difficulty level currently unresearched and unknown.

Thank you for all your help in my prior thread which was again, a horrible nightmare.