Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Replacing a chain?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:14 AM
where are my balls!?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger
Default Replacing a chain?

First off, I searched and didn't find anything about this topic. . .so if someone else does please let me know and no worries.

Bike: 2002 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
Miles: 14,xxx
Problem: I've been hearing a high pitch "ting ting" when I am going down the street. . .it isn't in a rhytmic (sp) pattern. Just every once in a while. I took it over to the shop (Fredericksburg Motor Sports) where the guy took one look at the bike and said your chain is loose. He said I couldn't tighten it any more and that I'd have to buy a new chain and sprockets. No problem. I knew I'd have some maintance due here soon.

It cost me $230 for the chain and sprocket (plus another 100 for some new mirrors). Labor was estimated at $120.

Is it a possible excursion to replace the sprocket and chain at home? or do I need some sort of calibration tool. *the chain is fitted for the bike, doesn't need to be cut, so I was told*

Just like to hear some feedback.
Also would like to know if I should just garage it till it gets replaced or keep on riding?

Thanks guys in advanced!
-Joe
Old 06-27-2008, 07:21 PM
miss my 2 wheels

brokemyR1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Replacing a chain?

Not familiar with your bike, but with the sportbikes I have owned/worked on, replacing the chain and sprockets was rather easy. Removing the rear wheel, cutting the chain(if no master link is present, or I am blind), test fitted the new one for correct length, oh and change the sprockets of course, then reassemble the bike and adjust the chain's slack and lube. I am by no means an expert, but it was never something I couldn't do myself. Also, if the chain is getting that bad, I would recommend not riding it till it's fixed. Trust me, a chain breaking while you're riding at any speed above 10mph(you could still fall over and break bones easily, cause damage to bike) could cause an unwanted accident.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Registered member

LShatch59 has disabled reputation

i can do it for you for a cheaper price pm me if wanna
Old 06-29-2008, 01:43 PM
where are my balls!?

Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger

Originally Posted by brokemyR1
Not familiar with your bike, but with the sportbikes I have owned/worked on, replacing the chain and sprockets was rather easy. Removing the rear wheel, cutting the chain(if no master link is present, or I am blind), test fitted the new one for correct length, oh and change the sprockets of course, then reassemble the bike and adjust the chain's slack and lube. I am by no means an expert, but it was never something I couldn't do myself. Also, if the chain is getting that bad, I would recommend not riding it till it's fixed. Trust me, a chain breaking while you're riding at any speed above 10mph(you could still fall over and break bones easily, cause damage to bike) could cause an unwanted accident.
Yea I was banking on someone else thinking like that. . .just to confirm my thoughts. Yes it wouldn't be too good of a day if that happened. . .espicially if I know something is wrong with the bike. haha
Old 06-29-2008, 01:43 PM
where are my balls!?

Originally Posted by LShatch59
i can do it for you for a cheaper price pm me if wanna
you are so far away
Old 06-29-2008, 01:55 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

it's not hard to do. but here's a few pointers to make it easier:

change the front sprocket first,(or at least take the nut off) especially if you don't have an impact to get the sprocket nut off. that way, you can have someone stand on the rear brake to hold the back wheel still (with the chain still on the bike, and the brake on, you can get leverage on the front sprocket nut, otherwise you're just going to spin the motor over)

cut the stock chain before you take the wheel off. easiest way is to grind the ends of the pins down flush with the plate, on any given link (easiest to do on a link that happens to be on the sprocket), put a flathead screwdriver behind that plate, and tap the screwdriver with a hammer. presto, the link comes off.

you can hook the new chain to the old chain with the new master link and just pull the new chain thru with the old chain. easier than trying to fish the new chain back thru the frame/swingarm.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:30 PM
where are my balls!?

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
it's not hard to do. but here's a few pointers to make it easier:

change the front sprocket first,(or at least take the nut off) especially if you don't have an impact to get the sprocket nut off. that way, you can have someone stand on the rear brake to hold the back wheel still (with the chain still on the bike, and the brake on, you can get leverage on the front sprocket nut, otherwise you're just going to spin the motor over)

cut the stock chain before you take the wheel off. easiest way is to grind the ends of the pins down flush with the plate, on any given link (easiest to do on a link that happens to be on the sprocket), put a flathead screwdriver behind that plate, and tap the screwdriver with a hammer. presto, the link comes off.

you can hook the new chain to the old chain with the new master link and just pull the new chain thru with the old chain. easier than trying to fish the new chain back thru the frame/swingarm.
I was just thinking about that today in the garage. . .I was like. . .how am I going to get this thing back around there? hahaha appreciate the pointer steve