Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

help with replacing brake pads

Old 03-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Tool Bitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
240forsale has disabled reputation
Default help with replacing brake pads

whats up all, i want to replace brake pads on a 2001 mustang... i'm assuming its basically all the same with any car, and i just need to know the basics.

take off the wheel, and the caliper is held on with like 2 bolts or something like that? take the caliper off, and how exactly do you change the pads?

i konw not to let the caliper hang by the brake line. do you have to disconnect the brake line? if yes, then that means i need to put more brake fluid in, correct?

if i have to mess with brake fluid, how do i do it? i know you gotta put it in, then work out air bubbles... somehow... pumping the brakes... yada yada yada

very basic stuff, i know. i did it once like a year ago but i dont really remember...and i dont want to screw anything up.

thanks for looking, im sure this will be an easy thread to answer to.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

audiophile24 has disabled reputation
Default Re: help with replacing brake pads

4 wheel disc?
Old 03-04-2005, 03:23 AM
Cruising @ 8000ft

hatch77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 240forsale
take off the wheel, and the caliper is held on with like 2 bolts or something like that? take the caliper off, and how exactly do you change the pads?
just break them loose, and slide them out with your hands. Kinda like changing a CD in your car. You are going to have to push in the piston though, I believe on your car they are the push in type instead of "screw ins" like on a civic.

i konw not to let the caliper hang by the brake line. do you have to disconnect the brake line? if yes, then that means i need to put more brake fluid in, correct?
get a coat hanger and suspend it from the suspension somewhere.

if i have to mess with brake fluid, how do i do it? i know you gotta put it in, then work out air bubbles... somehow... pumping the brakes... yada yada yada
if you get this far changing brake pads you shouldn't be changing brake pads

thanks for looking, im sure this will be an easy thread to answer to.
you're welcome
Old 03-04-2005, 08:50 AM
Tool Bitch

how do you change the actual pads? or i guess there will be instructions with the ones that i buy? are they screwed in or do they slide in somehow?

edit: oh yeah thanks again
Old 03-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Cruising @ 8000ft

hatch77 is an unknown quantity at this point

on the pad there will be a little metal clip that slides into place on the caliper. When you take the caliper off of the rotor, you will be able to pop the brake pad out of place, push in the piston, and replace it with the new pad.

I have yet to see instructions on how to change brake pads on the box.
you're welcome...again
Old 03-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Tool Bitch

you're a pimp!
Old 03-04-2005, 11:20 AM
hostgator.com

flow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these parts

i always use a cclamp to remove the caliper
Old 03-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Means Slow

MABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud of

use a big ass channel lock its quicker to press the piston back to the caliper
Old 03-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Tool Bitch

anyone have like a general diagram of a caliper to give me an idea? im sure il figure it out but its nice to be prepared.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

dude it's easy. break the bottom bolt free and push the caliper up out of the way. use channel locks to press the piston back in and throw the new pads in. make sure the hardware kit isnt touching the rotor or it'll screech when you drive. i recommend beveling the top/bottom of the pads to keep them from squeaking. the rear on stangs i believe have ebrake shoes so the pistons should push in just like the front. you can let the caliper hang by the hose too, just dont knock it around. if the hose breaks from holding the caliper then it needed to be replaced anyways. the only exception to this is like f250+ sized trucks that have massive calipers. it's so easy though that if you dont figure it out just by looking at it you aren't mechanically inclined enough to be doing it lol.

Quick Reply: help with replacing brake pads