Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Return of the pony cars

Old 06-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Ghost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF
Default Return of the pony cars

Haven't been in here much in the last year, but a brief search didn't yield much discussion on the return of the Big 3's biggest names.

I am so excited that within 2 years it will be possible to see Camaros, Challengers, and Mustangs going head-to-head with each other again.

I personally am very confident that the Camaro is going to absolutely destroy the others in just about any aspect. The Mustang is just...a Mustang, the Challenger is going to be a 4,100 lbs fucking boat, and noone's too sure what it's power is going to be, but you can guarantee it's going to get awful fuel economy and be avoided by many for that reason alone...not too mention it's still a Dodge so reliability is always in question.

If you're also interested in the coming news, rumors, etc on the 2009 Camaro, there is a decent forum growing that I recently joined. http://www.camaro5.com

I'm still struggling with whether I want to wait for the convertible, or just give in and get a first-year coupe. For those who are interested, but haven't heard, currently we are sure that the LS3 will be the powertrain for the SS and Z/28, with a rumor that the Z/28 will be a supercharged LS3, possible pushing 550 hp or so. BTW, one thing that's up in the iar is the badging, but we're pretty sure that the Z/28 will be the top power-package, like in the 60's, and unlike how the 4th gen Camaros were badged. A base SS is rumored to be pushing 450 to the wheels though, but since the LS3 isn't really in anything yet, it's up in the air.

The car is built on the Zeta Platform (so it's not an F-body really), which it will share with the GTO's replacement, badged the G8. It will sport Cadillac CTS suspension (including IRS, which is controversial), and 90% of what you have seen in concept will be carried over to production...most of that 10% will be the wheels (obviously the concept 22" rims won't be production) and the interior (which is really unpractical for production).

Most are probably already aware that the 2009 Camaro will be showcased in the new Transformers movie (but the actual car in the movie was a GTO stripped down and rebuilt like a Camaro BUILT BY SALEEN) as Bumblebee. I will be seeing that.

There's my $0.02.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Ghost

Default Re: Return of the pony cars

Old 06-01-2007, 06:00 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

You know...there are Supra rumors too
Old 06-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Nunchuck Skillz

TomsSound TomsSound TomsSound TomsSound TomsSound TomsSound TomsSound TomsSound TomsSound TomsSound TomsSound

I'd fucking kill someone for laying on my hood.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Ghost

Originally Posted by Flite
You know...there are Supra rumors too
I'll believe that it's worth a shit when/if I see it. I personally expect a RWD V-8, maybe 400 rwhp.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:38 PM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

The new Camaro is going to be heavy as shit too and expensive as hell. Mustang's will still easily outsell them but probably loose in the performance area as they usually have.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Ghost

It looks like they are shooting for about 3,700 lbs...which isn't light by any means, but 400lbs is significant when compared to the Challenger. I don't see it weighing more than a Stang.

And they are targeting the demographic of college grads. Low-mid 20-somethings. They (GM) HAS announced somewhere that the V6 model(s) will start in the low-mid 20's. The 5th gen forums are all in agreement that GM should keep the base V8 in the high-20's, and hopefully the top-of-the-line (Z/28 or whatever they badge it as) should be mid-30's. Much like the 4th gens really.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:53 PM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Originally Posted by MerF
It looks like they are shooting for about 3,700 lbs...which isn't light by any means, but 400lbs is significant when compared to the Challenger. I don't see it weighing more than a Stang.

And they are targeting the demographic of college grads. Low-mid 20-somethings. They (GM) HAS announced somewhere that the V6 model(s) will start in the low-mid 20's. The 5th gen forums are all in agreement that GM should keep the base V8 in the high-20's, and hopefully the top-of-the-line (Z/28 or whatever they badge it as) should be mid-30's. Much like the 4th gens really.
Well, if they are shooting for 3700, that's definitely heavier than a Mustang. I'd bet money it will weight more.

A base V8 won't go for less than $30k either. It's nice a forum is in agreement, but they won't be the ones setting the pricing. And for the first year they are out, they will be marked up do to demand.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:54 PM
XGP15A-II

J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX

tach
speedo
Shifter
rims
engine bay
Old 06-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Function > Form

RobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to all

They're using the LS3 in the new Corvette right? I cant see them using it in the camaro, seems like they would lose out on some sales.