Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Modifications and Insurance.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chnaman has disabled reputation
Default Re: Modifications and Insurance.

Originally Posted by The Mike
So I know some people have highly modified cars. Those people that do, do you report your modifications to your insurance company to make sure the money that you have invested in your car is safe?

IE: engine/trans upgrades, stereo systems, wheels, custom paint, etc etc.

If you don't report them, then why not?

Most carriers will not insure a car that has engine modification due to the increase in liability. Its actually a question that is suppose to be asked when doing a quote but most agents will over look it. Wheels and stereo are always covered some will require them to be endorsed on the policy others will cover automatically if permanently affixed to the car.

BTW If any of you are interested in receiving a comparison quote on your Auto insurance send me a PM. I represent several companies.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Registered member

TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan

Any suggestions on insurers for modified cars?

When I was shopping around Geico asks if there's anything permanently modified on the car - I did not see this asked on any other insurer's sites.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:25 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

My insurance used to cover mods. They sent me a notice last year saying they no longer will cover any mods and that my probably $15,000 car is worth $1700 to them. I'm looking around at other options right now
Old 11-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Keeping It Real !!

ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer

now i just keep my car stock ....gives me that good feeling .... but when i had the teg and was insured with geico they said they don't cover anything dealing with the engine.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:24 AM
This.isEntertainment

Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn

i have allstate, and my bodywork and wheels are insured, thats the only two mods i really have, but i pay an extra 18 dollars a month. lol
Old 11-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Registered Member

temp2 will become famous soon enoughtemp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by yeldak99
I have USAA and they cover everything... Mods and all.
I have the same, and Ive also had this happen where I needed to make a claim that included the loss of some of the modified parts. They paid more then I expected, without any hassle. Even the damaged parts that werent modified they paid out full oem retail cost on an 8yr old car, which allowed me to use that money to purchase better aftermarket parts, have the whole car painted a custom color, and still pocket almost $500. USAA is also cheap, and good for renters insurance(Ive never used it, but know many who have), as well as home insurance(Ive had to make a claim for water damage to my ceiling caused by a leak in the central air system, normally any type of water damage claim and you can get blackballed because of all the water damage shit insurance companies paid out over katrina, regardless of where you live. I however, had no problems whatsoever.)

main reason they claim they can offer such service and hassle free shit is the lack of overhead of having tons of branch offices(theyre based in Texas, but there's supposed to be a facility in Norfolk soon if it isnt already there). Other cool things they have are like the ability to deposit checks online just by scanning them, they also refund atm charges for like the first 10 or 20 withdrawls per month. On top of that they used to run special loans(I doubt they'll do this in the future anytime soon), the one I took advantage of was 25k at less then 2% interest. If you're thinking to yourself thats fucking ridiculous...IT IS! I just took the money and used it to accrue interest dividends. Was like they were giving away money.

I think you can invite people now who arent military(if not yet, then soon) to USAA membership. I think the reasoning behind this is military service members are less likely to keep deadbeat company(not agreeing with this, but its the only reason I can come up with they'd do that, and frankly I wonder how much if any research they did before offering it).

Lastly anyone whos ever been named on a policy of another member is able to apply for membership as a legacy, even divorced spouses, and certainly children(I was on my fathers auto policy as a teenager, and thats how I got in, I never served).

Ive never looked into their motorcycle rates, but if anyones interested shoot me a pm.