Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Modifications and Insurance.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:23 AM
+rep!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBXboost has disabled reputation
Default Modifications and Insurance.

So I know some people have highly modified cars. Those people that do, do you report your modifications to your insurance company to make sure the money that you have invested in your car is safe?

IE: engine/trans upgrades, stereo systems, wheels, custom paint, etc etc.

If you don't report them, then why not?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:28 AM
B Nice

STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW
Default Re: Modifications and Insurance.

You can get mod insurance. Like you have to tell them (and probably show receipts) which mods and how much they cost, then they will insure them for a reasonable value. I don't have it, but I'm sure someone on here does and can explain more.

Most probably don't report them as they're not going to cover them unless your paying extra.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:08 AM
LickMyButthole

yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99

I have USAA and they cover everything... Mods and all.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:01 AM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

Geico will not cover my car with the modifications. When I asked them, they noted that "if" I had them done, the car would be designated for "track use" and could not be covered.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

I'm insured by geico. When I had my 3000gt I was told that I had to report to them ALL modifications, no matter how small, the parts would not be covered, and the rates would be raised (I don't remember how much but it was significant). If I didn't report my mods to them and I got in an accident, they could deny my coverage completely. If they considered a car too heavily modified (like an engine swap) they might not insure it at all. I don't know if this was a factor but I was 18 at the time and under my dad's policy. I only reported my wheels/tires since I figured the average person would not be able to tell the difference on what was aftermarket and stock on the car anyways.
With my talon, well I'm not really sure what would happen since it looks 100% like an eclipse now, mitsu emblems and all. I havent told them my mods since I dont I want to pay out the ass for a 95 mitsushitty. I've heard stories though of people with geico who have had their mods covered for no extra cost....
Old 11-18-2008, 10:09 AM
DUBfresh.net

SLOWdsm is on a distinguished road

as far as audio shit is considered i was under the impression you have to have proof it was bolted into the car. ie: pictures with a recent date.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Drink Up, Chumps

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

I had the HREs insured and it was only like an extra $7 a month.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi

Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be

Originally Posted by yeldak99
well thats good to know since my dad is about to put me on his issurance!!
do u have to tell them about ur mods??
Old 11-18-2008, 11:24 AM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

Originally Posted by yeldak99
I've got USAA and I haven't wanted to ask them about mods. I've got full coverage w/ them...I know last time I had to file a claim - old car - they asked if the bumpers and everything were OEM because they'd have to adjust cost based on that.

If you could explain more I'd appreciate it. Do you personally have extra mods covered on there, or do you just know for a fact that they'll cover everything under "full coverage".
Old 11-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Your best bet is to contact your agent and ask them a hypothetical question. Most companies will insure wheels and bolt ons, but as stated previously some companies, like GEICO, will not insure some modifications because those modifications are made for one reason: to go fast, and then the vehicle becomes too much of a liability to insure.

If your agent says they will cover some mods, find out what happens in the instance a loss occurs and you have "unacceptable modifications." If they say they won't cover it, you need to shop for a company that will.

Quick Reply: Modifications and Insurance.