Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

In the market for tires..opinons please

Old 10-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jorge1190 has disabled reputation
Default Re: In the market for tires..opinons please

I run NT05's on my 96 240sx. I run 255-40-17 all the way around and I love them.

I have ran them at a few autocross events both with stock power and with a semi-stock SR20 and I loved them. They are very predictable and responsive.

I drive the car mostly on the street. I am making 330WHP and 302 TQ and and can drive aggressively without worrying about the back end sliding around. I have over 10k miles on the fronts but I am on my second set of rears, the first lasted about 9k miles. The big grooves can make it a little tricky to drive in heavy rain but they still perform very well as long as you are not driving like an idiot in crappy conditions.

Last edited by jorge1190; 10-08-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:00 PM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by POS DSM

As far as the OP, if you could clarify how you intend to use the tires (street only, auto-x only, both, etc) it would make it easier to offer suggestions.
I have it narrowed down to what I can find available in the sizes and price. I was hoping for some people to post something like "Hey I have R888's and liked them, they have x,xxx miles on them, ect, ect " The post below, is the kind of responses I was specifically looking to get.

It's a street car, I don't anticipate any track time in it...I have one of those I can't sell without giving it away.

Originally Posted by jorge1190
I run NT05's on my 96 240sx. I run 255-40-17 all the way around and I love them.

I have ran them at a few autocross events both with stock power and with a semi-stock SR20 and I loved them. They are very predictable and responsive.

I drive the car mostly on the street. I am making 330WHP and 302 TQ and and can drive aggressively without worrying about the back end sliding around. I have over 10k miles on the fronts but I am on my second set of rears, the first lasted about 9k miles. The big grooves can make it a little tricky to drive in heavy rain but they still perform very well as long as you are not driving like an idiot in crappy conditions.
This was the kind of response I was looking to receive. I expect to have the rears wear out faster than the fronts, especially on a rwd car. I can probably handle 9-10k on a set of the rears. Do you think the fronts would last though 2 sets of rears? I'm not worried about driving like an idiot in the rain, but I would like something that would get me home safely if I was caught out in the rain.

Last edited by SMOKEYBEAR; 10-08-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Registered member

Yes I would expect the fronts to be very close to lasting through 2 sets of rears. I would say mine are at about 50-55% and I have put a few hundred miles on my new rears. I have driven through some very strong thunderstorms with them maintaining about 60 MPH without feeling like I really needed to slow down.

They really are my favorite tires I have used. Others that I can compare to which are much more expensive:

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Advan Neova AD07
Old 10-08-2012, 06:13 PM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

The pilot sports and Advans are more than I want to spend currently. I'm leaning towards the NT05's...
Old 10-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Registered member

You won't regret it.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

Unless you just want a tire that looks cool, the NT05's are a waste of money if it never sees a track. Take one step down on the performance ladder. NT05's, star specs, hankook rs3's etc., were designed to be street friendly competition tires. You sacrifice a great deal in comfort, longevity, and wet weather drivability all for maximum dry grip....and on the street you won't even come close to maximizing that grip because you'll never get the tire warm enough to use it (one exception is the Falken Azenis RT615k, which likes cooler temps). Not to mention on average they'll last 1/3rd as much as the tires a step down, costing you more money in the long run.

You'll be happier with a lesser tire...something like the Continental DW's will still give more grip than you'll ever need on the street, and be much easier to live with day to day.

As far as what I have owned in that category...I have had Hankook Ventus v12 Evo's....I only put 1000 miles on them before I sold it. For the money, it was an outstanding tire. Tirerack was offering an $80 rebate on them at the time. There are TONS of people who run these tires, it's widely considered the best bang for the buck out there.

Also have run BFgoodrich KDW2's...these are definitely outdated now, but were a great tire. I wore them out fast autocrossing though...got maybe 25k miles out of them.

Have also run star specs in the past, and currently running Falken Azenis RT615k's, but I haven't given those the beans yet.

Last edited by POS DSM; 10-08-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:06 AM
I H8 MY CAR

FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx

I'm partial to Dunlop Direzza Z1 star specs...they really do it all. Excellent grip, longevity, and won't kill you in the rain or your wallet. Not sure if they're available in your size. I'm curious as to how you are considering both Toyo R888's and Goodyear GS-D3's lol, 2 totally different categories of tires. I would think the GS-D3 would be outdated by now, I think I last looked at those like 6 years ago.

Also for what it's worth, I talked to a rep from Tire Rack about a month ago and apparently a lot of new and very good performance tires are hitting the market in spring 2013 including the successor to the star specs, so keep that in mind. 2012 was kind of a dead year.
THIS...I've run nothing but Star Specs up front in the last 4 yrs. I love these tires that much. Dunlop just redid these tires in Japan, not sure if the new ones made it over to the states yet.

NT-05s are good for the price but my gripe with it is the shallow ass thread depth. My alignment wasnt bad but they lasted me about 7 months before they were near slicks. And when they get old/hard, they turn into utter garbage.
I wanna try the RS3s, can anybody compare them to the Star Specs?

Last edited by FLiPrayZin240sx; 10-10-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 AM
WHITE TRASH

Unless you just want a tire that looks cool, the NT05's are a waste of money if it never sees a track. Take one step down on the performance ladder. NT05's, star specs, hankook rs3's etc., were designed to be street friendly competition tires. You sacrifice a great deal in comfort, longevity, and wet weather drivability all for maximum dry grip....and on the street you won't even come close to maximizing that grip because you'll never get the tire warm enough to use it (one exception is the Falken Azenis RT615k, which likes cooler temps). Not to mention on average they'll last 1/3rd as much as the tires a step down, costing you more money in the long run.

You'll be happier with a lesser tire...something like the Continental DW's will still give more grip than you'll ever need on the street, and be much easier to live with day to day.

As far as what I have owned in that category...I have had Hankook Ventus v12 Evo's....I only put 1000 miles on them before I sold it. For the money, it was an outstanding tire. Tirerack was offering an $80 rebate on them at the time. There are TONS of people who run these tires, it's widely considered the best bang for the buck out there.

Also have run BFgoodrich KDW2's...these are definitely outdated now, but were a great tire. I wore them out fast autocrossing though...got maybe 25k miles out of them.

Have also run star specs in the past, and currently running Falken Azenis RT615k's, but I haven't given those the beans yet.
I see the NT05's and R888's as a fun purchase. The others are probably the better choice ( Bridgstones, Continentals) for the way I use the car. The car itself has lost some it's "fun factor" and kinda bores me. I'm contemplating selling it for a bass boat, a 70's TransAm ( Smokey and the Bandit) or selling my drag car and getting a GTM kit car and using the Corvette to complete that build. I have come to the conclusion I enjoy the project itself vs the finished product.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
I have come to the conclusion I enjoy the project itself vs the finished product.
That's pretty much the story of my life, and the reason I do more projects for other people than for myself.. I'm looking for a cool platform for a long term hot rod build, then I'll probably sell it after I'm done (in however many years of spare time).