Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

In the market for a new car.

Old 01-30-2004, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scorched is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In the market for a new car.

Anyhow I decided the time was right, I think i'm going to buy myself a new car. I checked out a couple of cars, I don't want something too extreme. I want something fast enough off the showroom floor, yet no shitty gas mileage. So far i've checked out the following cars / read up on them. I'm going to wait a bit til tax season is dying down so I can get a better deal on something and save more money up for the down payment so payments are eating my ass alive. I'm looking at the following cars but suggestions and critism is well needed as I am a bit anal about buying a car and I will probably take about 4 months to make sure that everything I want on it is perfect.

Here goes :

The first car on my list that I like the most so far is the Subaru WRX STi. Sticker priced at 32,600 Payments would be around 518 a month with a downpayment of 5000 for 60 months. I liked how these cars braked, accelerated, as well as handled. Everything performance wise about this car was damn nice for off the show room floor. The only thing I didn't like was the "cheapness" of the interior. I understand that it is a "race car" to some means but my god, you can't even use the cup holder while you're shifting. The other cup holder looked as if it were situated much rather for the passenger up on the dash. I broke one of the air vents just adjusting it, and that just blows for a brand new car. Surely i'm not buying something for leisure, but jesus christ they should have at least planned that car interior rather than slapping one in last minute as it looks.

I don't like the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII even though so far in most performance books i've read it tops the WRX slightly. It's a good car, but I don't like it.

I looked at BMW's but I never got around to test driving one yet. I need suggestions here if anyone has an in depth on any 02-03 BMWs. I don't want to buy one brand new and i'm pretty sure they've got a late model to dust off for me somewhere over there at checkered flag.

I like Acura's but i'm not fluent on the prices they have to offer. I like the Acura TL, it looks as if it's some sort of family sedan though. It's a very pretty car. The RSX-S looked nice, I test drove one of those. Pretty quick even though the salesman was a bit quick with me and wanted me out of it it seemed. I think the sticker price if I recall was 21,000 but this was 2 1/2 - 3 weeks ago so i'm not 100% positive my memory is serving me correct.

I test drove the Mustang's Beach Ford had to offer me but I really do not want a V8.

I like the new Infiniti G35, was a pretty car but I never got around to test drive a two door. The 4 door in an automatic version was pretty peppy so i'm guessing a manual two door would be a little bit faster.

I do not like VWs speaking in terms of speed. I didn't like a 1.8T Manual GTI, I never got to drive a VR6 Manual GTI. I got into a VR6 Manual Jetta and it had the muscle I wanted but the handling sucked. Plus the leather, even if perfectly treated seems to deteriorate fast. I've had mine perfectly upkept in a 99' Passat i've had since knew. I weigh all of 160 pounds and the leather is cracked to hell. It's even garaged, detailed, etc constantly to top that off. Maybe it's just the year, because it seems the leather material they use has changed. I want the R32 to come out but when is that? Next summer/winter or what?

Overall that's been what's on my mind. I lean alot towards that STi that I drove but I want to fully consider everything else before hand. Hopefully I could get some input from owners of cars that I have listed etc.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2004, 07:08 AM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: In the market for a new car.

I may be wrong but I believe there are actual interior upgrade packages available for the STi
Old 01-30-2004, 07:14 AM
RAWR!%!#%!#

bensrex is an unknown quantity at this point

The STi is a great car, but do you honestly have the money for it? If you do, awesome. If not, you should really check out the WRX's too. Or even the WRX Wagon's... or maybe you could get the WRX, and use any extra money to mod it, if thats what you're into. Either way, I love my Subaru, and I know you'll love it if you get one.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:17 AM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

there's always the Camaro!
Old 01-30-2004, 08:18 AM

I can afford the STi it's just I want a broad view of everything else in that category before I go ahead and spend it and find out later I don't like it. I'm into modding cars, just not as my main vehicle for transportation. I've had a few project cars as daily drivers and they don't hold up to par. I'd rather buy something from the factory that has a warranty for all the tune ups i'd get. In the end I figured it'd be cheaper. A WRX would run me about 25,000 from the dealership correct? Think about all the tuning i'd do to catch up to the STI. I'm not sure about all the internals of the WRX but the STi has suspension, brakes, motor, transmission, etc all beefed up to specifics with the body etc already done. Plus upkeep would be phenomenal in the end, I wouldnt have a warranty when it broke unless I tore it down to stock to bring it back in.

I've had a Camaro and I really hate getting 8-12 mpg :P One of my first cars was a 94 z28. It definitely held up but seriously i'd hate to be paying 200-300 bucks for gas a week as much as I drive.

Last edited by scorched; 01-30-2004 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:24 AM
Master of Doom

Vigor Vigor Vigor Vigor Vigor Vigor Vigor

Originally Posted by travisnd
there's always the Camaro!
Originally Posted by scorched
I test drove the Mustang's Beach Ford had to offer me but I really do not want speed.

Last edited by Vigor; 01-30-2004 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:26 AM

I test drove the Mustang's Beach Ford had to offer me but I really do not want a V8.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:40 AM

JasonVT is an unknown quantity at this point

I
I've had a Camaro and I really hate getting 8-12 mpg :P One of my first cars was a 94 z28. It definitely held up but seriously i'd hate to be paying 200-300 bucks for gas a week as much as I drive.
um 8-12MPG? no... my WS6 gets 30 highway and 18-22 around town.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:43 AM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold

I test drove the Mustang's Beach Ford had to offer me but I really do not want a mullet
Old 01-30-2004, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by JasonVT
um 8-12MPG? no... my WS6 gets 30 highway and 18-22 around town.
My z28 guzzled gas, but I guess you never give yours any throttle.

Quick Reply: In the market for a new car.