Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

In the market for tires..opinons please

Old 10-07-2012, 05:09 PM
WHITE TRASH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR
Default In the market for tires..opinons please

It's come time to replace the tires on the Corvette and I'm not looking to spend a small fortune. I'd like to get something in the middle of the road both performance and price wise with something that will get some what decent wear. I only drive it about 5-7k a year so the wear is some what not the most important factor, but I don't want to replace them two times a year either. I'm not looking to spend Pilot Sport or Advan money...

front 265-40-17 or 275-40-17, rear 295-35-18 or 305-35-18

I really like the Toyo R888, but with a tread wear of 100, I can't see them lasting very long. Unless someone has real world experience running them on a street car that can tell me otherwise, I'll keep looking past them even though I like them a lot.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....R888&tab=Sizes

I also like the Nitto NT05, but it's similar to the R888's with a tread wear of 200. They have good reviews all around, even wet traction. The wet traction reviews concern me because I have no idea what they are comparing them to....
https://www.onlinetires.com/products...05+99w+bw.html

I've looked at the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 as they easily fall in what I'm willing to spend and have the sizes I'm in the market to buy. The 340 tread wear indicates they might be very loud.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....RE760&i1_Qty=2

I've also looked at the extreme contact by Continental. They easily fit in the price range I'm willing to spend. They have mixed reviews, and again I don't know what they are comparing.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ECDW&tab=Sizes

I've had GoodYear GS-D 3's on there before, but the no longer make the rear size. I've contemplated running the GS-D3's on the front and NT05's on the rear.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Eagle+F1+GS-D3

Last edited by SMOKEYBEAR; 10-07-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:17 PM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous
Default Re: In the market for tires..opinons please

I was gonna say gsd3 but if they don't make that size....
Old 10-07-2012, 05:20 PM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by Lord Humongous
I was gonna say gsd3 but if they don't make that size....
I had them on the old wheels and liked them a lot so of course they quit making the rear size. I might put them on the front for the wet traction, and NT05 on the rear. I'm not sure I can really convince myself to run different tires front and rear unless I was going to run drag radials on the rear.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
The 340 tread wear indicates they might be very loud.

I'm a little stuck on that part. Please explain your logic....
Old 10-07-2012, 05:30 PM
WHITE TRASH

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I'm a little stuck on that part. Please explain your logic....
I've been doing a lot of reading trying to make a educated purchase and not end up with a set of tires I regret buying and waiting for them to wear out. Somewhere along the way that came up in my reading...

You know otherwise? I like that set a lot, just weary of the possible noise ( the cabin noise is plenty loud as it is) from some of the info I've come across. I'm no tire expert by any means. I'm replacing a set of Kuhmo's, they have served me well, so like the GS D3's are no longer in production.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Look into sumitomo. Decent price and a pretty good tire.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:49 PM
WHITE TRASH

Originally Posted by Dough_Boy.
Look into sumitomo. Decent price and a pretty good tire.
They don't make the sizes I need, at least not after a quick look on tire rack.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 PM
-8th Day Clothing-

Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck

Hankook RS3's
Old 10-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
I've been doing a lot of reading trying to make a educated purchase and not end up with a set of tires I regret buying and waiting for them to wear out. Somewhere along the way that came up in my reading...

You know otherwise? I like that set a lot, just weary of the possible noise ( the cabin noise is plenty loud as it is) from some of the info I've come across. I'm no tire expert by any means. I'm replacing a set of Kuhmo's, they have served me well, so like the GS D3's are no longer in production.
Tread pattern, carcass construction, and compound all interact and contribute to tire noise, and treadwear ratings are somewhat subjective and vary from brand to brand, etc. So it's a stretch to make a correlation between treadwear and tire noise, because that's just a small sampling of the variables at play.

If you hear they're noisy, they're probably noisy, and I'd trust people's feedback..
Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 PM
before you were here

caeavesRSX-S has disabled reputation

I haven't had anyone say the RE760s are loud by any means.

Quick Reply: In the market for tires..opinons please