Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

LOL at this guy. Title issue drama inside.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:55 PM
The Pro to call.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: LOL at this guy. Title issue drama inside.

in case you want the code sections:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1602

Originally Posted by va code 46.2-1602
§ 46.2-1602. Certain sales prohibited; exceptions.

A. It shall be unlawful:

1. For any scrap metal processor to sell a vehicle or vehicle components or parts;

2. For any salvage pool to sell a salvage vehicle to any person who is not a scrap metal processor or licensed as a salvage dealer, rebuilder, demolisher, motor vehicle dealer, or vehicle removal operator;

3. For any person to sell a nonrepairable vehicle to any person who is not a scrap metal processor or licensed as a salvage dealer, demolisher, or vehicle removal operator; or

4. For any person to sell a rebuilt vehicle without first having disclosed the fact that the vehicle is a rebuilt vehicle to the buyer in writing on a form prescribed by the Commissioner.

B. Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection A of this section, it shall not be unlawful:

1. For a salvage dealer to sell vehicle components or parts to unlicensed persons; or

2. For an individual to dispose of a salvage vehicle acquired or retained for his own use when it has been acquired or retained and used in good faith and not for the purpose of avoiding the provisions of this chapter.

(1979, c. 401, § 46.1-550.6; 1988, cc. 842, 865; 1989, c. 727; 1992, c. 148.)
Originally Posted by va code 46.2-1604
46.2-1604. Rebuilders required to possess certificate of title.

Each rebuilder shall have in his possession a certificate of title assigned to him for each vehicle in his inventory for resale. If a rebuilder purchases a salvage vehicle to be used or sold for parts only, he shall conspicuously indicate on the salvage certificate that the vehicle will be sold or used as parts only and immediately forward the salvage certificate to the Department for cancellation. The Department shall issue a nonrepairable certificate for that vehicle.

(1979, c. 401, § 46.1-550.9; 1989, c. 727; 1992, c. 148.)

Last edited by HatefulMechanic; 01-23-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:00 PM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
The father has a justifiable case, I would look things over myself.

The fact the selling dealer did not have it titled correctly is on them, I agree. But he is responsible for getting either a non-repairable certificate, a salvage title, or a branded title. You cannot legally sell a vehicle without some form of an ownership certificate that is legal.

The incorrectly repo'd title is not legal or valid from what I can tell from the info provided. I dont think anything is different between a dealer or an individual, but I cannot legally sell a vehicle I have for parts unless it has a title or a non-repairable certificate.

I am currently looking up the laws regarding vehicles without titles.

but from what you are saying, that would mean everyone who sold a car without a title would have done so illegally.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:01 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

it is not hard to get a salvage certificate if there is a faulty out of state title, I have done a few of them pretty easily.

there is a procedure, but the basics are in this code

Originally Posted by va code 46.2-1606
§ 46.2-1606. Certificates of title issued by other states.

The Commissioner may accept certificates of titles for salvage vehicles or other documents deemed appropriate by the Department issued by other states indicating a vehicle has been declared salvage, and shall carry forward all appropriate brands or indicators. If the vehicle has not been rebuilt and the requirements of § 46.2-1605 have not been met, the Department shall issue a salvage certificate for the vehicle.

(1979, c. 401, § 46.1-550.11; 1981, c. 9; 1989, c. 727; 1992, c. 148.)

Only reason I am putting this info up is cause yer buddy made mistakes on his end, the seller to him made mistakes, and the purchaser made mistakes.

Combined it dont make a fuck in court, the final purchaser has the right to sue him and will likely win unless it is taken care of soon.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:05 PM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

in case you want the code sections:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1602
that only deals with salvge title/rebuilt vehicles though....this car had a repo title. Is there anything in there about that?

and can you find anything about selling a car without a title?

Steve TRIED to title the car twice and VA said no, they do not title out of state repo cars.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:07 PM
The Pro to call.

Originally Posted by Donkey Punch
I am currently looking up the laws regarding vehicles without titles.

but from what you are saying, that would mean everyone who sold a car without a title would have done so illegally.
basically. I have several vehicles I have bought and sold over the last few years that had no titles (mainly older restoration jobs, my 54 5 window pickup is in this boat also). At one point I had to hire a clerk to do the research if I wanted the actual factory vin to be used on the title on a few restoration jobs. Basically we had to do a title search using the vin on the vehicle and find where it was last registered (basically impossible if it was more than 15 years since the last registration, cause most DMV's did not put their paper records to electronic files) VA is not too bad to deal with, but there are some hefty paper research fees if you want them to dig through their files.

Fastest and cheapest way is to apply for a new ID number and get a title that way, but it is still a hard task to do.

People selling shells, parts cars, etc are required by law to sell it with a clear title or salvage certificate.

A lot of them slip through, but its still the law. The DMV and MVDB are very strict on these lately.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:10 PM
The Pro to call.

that only deals with salvge title/rebuilt vehicles though....this car had a repo title. Is there anything in there about that?

and can you find anything about selling a car without a title?

Steve TRIED to title the car twice and VA said no, they do not title out of state repo cars.
if he sold it as a parts car, it is considered salvage. Hence it has to have a salvage certificate or clear title.

A repossession title is not hard to deal with, but it does involve some work. the DMV appears to have given them the correct information, but unless someone gets off their ass and does it, everyone involved is still up shits creek.

I am not sure on the code stating the vehicle has to be sold with a title, but I know it is referenced a couple of times. If I remember I will grab my books from the MVDB classes and ask around, but the basics are if it is real property it has a method of identification and a legal document proving ownership.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:13 PM
NAZI mod

one thing I think you may be overlooking-

this car has a South carolina REPOSESED title.

The car is to be titled in Iowa. And those codes say nothing about a private party selling a vehicle without a title...am i missing anything?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:17 PM
The Pro to call.

I am not sure on the age requirement, but there are several references to 10 years being a point in which a car can be sold for parts, but I cannot find them in any of my books or online.

Bottom line is the VA DMV can charge him if he sold it and didnt title it in his name. Not paying the tax on it=title jumping.

Its bullshit, I agree. but they gotta get their revenue somehow.

I realize it has a SC repo title and its sold to a guy in IA.

The transaction took place in VA, which means he has to abide by VA laws.

Edit

yes it does have specifically in line 3 that a private party cannot do it!

Last edited by HatefulMechanic; 01-23-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:28 PM
NAZI mod

yes it does have specifically in line 3 that a private party cannot do it!
That only states that if the vehicle is non-repairable, this car only has a title with "lien" stamped on it. wouldnt that be different?

In order for this to be resolved, all this guy has to do is call the dealership, and have them put the title in their name with the proper repo paperwork and then send the title to this guy. THATS IT.

He seems like he is being a dickhead and just pawning off the work onto steve. thats what we are getting out of the situation.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:34 PM
The Pro to call.

That only states that if the vehicle is non-repairable, this car only has a title with "lien" stamped on it. wouldnt that be different?

In order for this to be resolved, all this guy has to do is call the dealership, and have them put the title in their name with the proper repo paperwork and then send the title to this guy. THATS IT.

He seems like he is being a dickhead and just pawning off the work onto steve. thats what we are getting out of the situation.
you are completely missing the point that the vehicle HAS to be titled/nr certificate/whatever to "steve" before it can legally be sold to the individual in IA.

The dealer in SC cannot issue the title to the dude in IA, cause they are not the one that sold it to them.

Bottom line is "steve" has to get the vehicle in his name in some form, whether it be a repo title reissue, a salvage certificate, or whatever, then he signs it over to the IA dude.

the father is correct, and to be honest, I would be pretty happy he is giving this final opportunity to fix it, since its pretty apparent that both the seller and purchaser are not well versed in this situation.

cliff notes:

"steve" gets vehicle titled in his name from SC dealer.
"steve" signs title over to IA purchaser.

I really do not see what the big deal is here, it is standard procedure for selling a vehicle.

Quick Reply: LOL at this guy. Title issue drama inside.