Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Anyone been in an accident

Old 10-08-2005, 10:48 AM
eng
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng
Default Anyone been in an accident

and had their car totalled? In particular with Allstate.

I've been told that if the damage is above a certain percentage of the cars value they total it. I can't imagine how it wouldn't be totalled if that is the case. My car's value is next to nothing in the various books, but I probably have more value in aftermarket stuff than the car is worth. Basically I'm trying to avoid having someone else be able to get the parts off my car before me if it is totalled.

I had it towed to my house since I couldn't think of where to take it at 4AM. Will they send someone here or do I need to have it towed somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

PS: This sucks.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:56 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Re: Anyone been in an accident

You okay? What happened?

I actually work for Allstate Insurance, so if you need any inside information for things beyond "where do I have to have it towed" and claim related things like what percentage of the value, etc.. I'd be glad to discuss it with you.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Seh-Fee-Ro

yokojzz30 is an unknown quantity at this point

well sorry to here about your loss and no i dont have allstate
i have usaa..and when my car was totaled, it was towed to mitsubishi and i was told by usaa that IF the car WAS totaled out..id have to buy it back be4 i could take parts off of it..which didnt make sense to me since i hadnt handed over the keys or title and i hadnt gotten a check...but tahts what i was told...needless to say i stripped the car anyway and i never heard anything about it

good luck
are u ok
Old 10-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Tom

Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom

I think it is totalled if the damge is estimated to be over 75% of the bluebook value. I'm not too too sure though. Sorry to hear about your car, though. Accidents suck ass.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:14 AM
eng
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
You okay? What happened?
I'm fine. Car isn't

Had a wedding to go to at Smith Mountain Lake to take pictures. So I had to be there ~8-9. A 4-5 hour drive, left at 3.30. Was about a quarter mile from Ft. Eustis exit. A van in the right lane was going extrememly slow, way under speed limit. So no, I wasn't speeding when this happened. I went to pass got a few car lengths in front of him then I hit a puddle, car sucked into the left side guard rail, spun the car around and I ended up in the right side ditch just past the tree line.

The car I passed stopped to makes sure I was okay and I called my brother to come and get me and see if he could get a tow truck. Before he showed up a fire truck and ambulance showed up (how they saw me I have no idea, I was waiting in the car which was in the ditch) told them everything was fine and they left. Shortly after that a state tropper showed up. No ticket though, thankfully, I know they can throw wreckless driving tickets at you for dumb stuff like this. He was polite and helpful, as should be expected.

What's damaged that I can tell?
  • front and rear bumpers (still usable though, zipties are useful for something after all )
  • driver side front and rear quarter panel
  • passenger side door, kick panel and side skirt
  • radiator support
  • driver side head and tail light
  • hood
That's just the stuff that is obviously busted. Who knows what else is.

I can't see how that doesn't add up to a large portion of the cars book value. Think you could IM me though? It'd be great to hear from someone at Allstate before I call them.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:32 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Son of a bitch! You guys keep coming to the Roanoke area and you don't let us know so you can stop and hang out. There are just a few of us on here! It would be cool to meet and greet.

I would just tell you in advance that you should take anything off that you want to keep (if you can replace with stock/other parts) before turning it in.. Sometimes they will request that you buy it back before you take anything of yours off of it, but then again I've heard stories of them writing a check over AND telling you that you can get whatever you want off of it.. From a business stand point, that doesn't make much sense, but it's supposed to be all about the customer--right?

I'm about to run out the door for the evening but I'd be happy to discuss it with you! I won't be back until tomorrow morning or afternoon, so if you want to hit me up with any questions that I might be able to help with, I'll get back to you as soon as I walk back in the door.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:41 AM
_______

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Take all your shit out you want to keep. If they ask "Where is your radio?" just tell them it was broken and you never got a chance to get another one yet. Come up with good stories for the reason all the shit is out and you'll be OK. They never asked me about missing stuff tho.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:41 AM
eng
Administrator

Son of a bitch! You guys keep coming to the Roanoke area and you don't let us know so you can stop and hang out. There are just a few of us on here! It would be cool to meet and greet
Wasn't planning on staying there long. Drive there, take pictures, take a nap if needed and drive back later that same day.
I would just tell you in advance that you should take anything off that you want to keep (if you can replace with stock/other parts) before turning it in.. Sometimes they will request that you buy it back before you take anything of yours off of it, but then again I've heard stories of them writing a check over AND telling you that you can get whatever you want off of it.. From a business stand point, that doesn't make much sense, but it's supposed to be all about the customer--right?
Well that's not what I wanted to hear

I'm not worried about having to buy it back, I just don't want anyone else to be able to pillage the car before I get a chance.
I'm about to run out the door for the evening but I'd be happy to discuss it with you! I won't be back until tomorrow morning or afternoon, so if you want to hit me up with any questions that I might be able to help with, I'll get back to you as soon as I walk back in the door.
Bummer, everytime I find someone that has good information on this they have to leave
Old 10-08-2005, 11:43 AM
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by eng
Wasn't planning on staying there long. Drive there, take pictures, take a nap if needed and drive back later that same day.
Well that's not what I wanted to hear

I'm not worried about having to buy it back, I just don't want anyone else to be able to pillage the car before I get a chance.
I'm sorry.. I wouldn't worry too much about other people getting to your car before you can, but be prepared for the worst you know? Get what you want first and it won't be a concern.. Just in case.

I wish I could stay longer and talk about it, but I did respond to your pm. It's the two year anniversary today so I'll be out all night. :-\
Old 10-08-2005, 11:47 AM
GIO
Registered Member

GIO is an unknown quantity at this point

Son of a bitch! You guys keep coming to the Roanoke area and you don't let us know so you can stop and hang out. There are just a few of us on here! It would be cool to meet and greet.

This is true! I have Allstate also and they where really good about giving me a check when my car got broken into. Replaced all my CD's and after market stereo. It's true when they say "Your in Good Hands with Allstate" now USAA is another story not to friendly there. My beater got totalled and they didn't want to give me anything for the after market stuff.

Quick Reply: Anyone been in an accident