Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Another inspection question

Old 02-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blaznkwest will become famous soon enough
Default Another inspection question

Okay so I go to this used lot, and in the corner they have a car I was interested in. There is no price tag on it so I ask if it's for sale, and they say yes, but it's not on the main lot because it's not inspected and won't pass inspection because "its lowered". From what I thought I understood was that height does not matter for the safety inspection. Does anybody KNOW if height will make you fail inspection or have any resources where I can find this answer? Thanks
Old 02-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

00blackbmw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another inspection question

as far as i know, any alteration to suspension is illegal...i dunnno if that means it will fail inspection or what... really..if you take it to the right place it will pass...thats just my .02
Old 02-19-2007, 03:22 PM
7FIVE7

jstabb1 can only hope to improve

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm
Old 02-20-2007, 02:54 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

a vehicle that is lowered can pass inspection, provided it meets some criteria.

the tires cannot scrub the body. it cannot be lowered where it causes any point of the body, frame, or fuel tank to contact the ground. if the lowering reduces the turning radius, it wont pass. those retarded ground control coil over kits that slip over your factory struts using o rings to take up the slack wont pass, due to the fact they let the spring fall out when lifted up. the ricers, and MaDJDM DRYFT0rZ that like having uber neg. camber are rejectable as fuck also, due to the fact the vehicles tires are visually out of line.

add in line 12, which states that a vehicle can be rejected due to any modification that has been made to any part of the steering or suspension system that affects proper steering or suspension or any part of the original system has been disconnected.

its purely up to the interpretation of the inspection laws by the inspector and trooper. MOST vehicles, when properly lowered, will pass. however, dont expect to have a car that is slammed pass. general rule of thumb is 1-1.5" of drop is the most you can do without causing much suspension issues, and that is legal.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:13 PM
AKA: SHY_GUY

S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy

I passed at a legit place, no bribes or anything else, I even had 35% on the front windows. I guess it depends where you go.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

nevermind
Old 02-21-2007, 01:26 PM
_______

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Just because it passes inspection does not mean its leagal.
And just because its illeagal does not mean you will fail inspection for it.