Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Tire Advise, Brands/Type

Old 02-05-2004, 11:40 AM
"Without Limit"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00lude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tire Advise, Brands/Type

I've taken the winter off, but with spring and summer around the corner I need to make a tire change. My stockies (beaters) are completely worn out and can no longer be used for Auto-X. I have decided to go with a slightly smaller overall diameter so I will likely be getting 15x7's that I can get a great deal on. The question is, should I go with Kuhmo or Hoosier? I'm leaning toward the Hoosiers because I can get such a great deal on the 15's. What type of tire life should I expect? What are you experiences with each? What would you recommend? Your feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:42 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Tire Advise, Brands/Type

what model kumho, and what model hoosier?
Old 02-05-2004, 11:52 AM
"Without Limit"

V700s for the Kumho and I forget which model Hoosiers. I do remember that they $60 more each.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

I have only run on the Ecta V700's on my Dads CRX. But, from everything I have ever heard or head the Kumho is a more forgiving tire. By for giving I mean they dont just lose grip or "break away" all at once acting more like a street tire. Plus you may want to look in having them heat cycled and or shaved. Someone who has done this can chime in here.

But there are 2 new compounds by both Hoosier and Kumho that clame longer life and better corner speed. The Kumho is the V710, and the Hoosire is the A304 I think.

You can get these both at Tirerack.com

They also sell Kosie Wheels and have good prices on 15x7
Old 02-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

what class is the car in?
Old 02-05-2004, 01:46 PM
"Without Limit"

I'll be running DSP this year.

The Hoosier tire model is A3S03. I thought about shaving as an option if I were to go with the V700s, that may be a good way to compromise. If someone could tell me more about that I would appreciate it. The 710s are not out yet, or at least not out in the size I'm looking for.

Also the Kosie K1s are no longer available in 15x7. I should have gotten together on this earlier as my closeout price for the K1s was like $69. There is a slightly heavier wheel I may get at that same price though.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

What size tire are you looking for?

The new hoosier is the A3S04.

You may want to look at the Team Dynamic Pro Race 1 wheel 15x7 itsthe spec Miata wheel. I have the Enkie RPF1's. If you are not to conserned with price you can get the SSR comp wheel in a 15x7.5 for like $300 per wheel.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Registered Loser

maxQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 00lude
I'll be running DSP this year.

The Hoosier tire model is A3S03. I thought about shaving as an option if I were to go with the V700s, that may be a good way to compromise. If someone could tell me more about that I would appreciate it. The 710s are not out yet, or at least not out in the size I'm looking for.

Also the Kosie K1s are no longer available in 15x7. I should have gotten together on this earlier as my closeout price for the K1s was like $69. There is a slightly heavier wheel I may get at that same price though.
If this was last year, I'd say Hoosiers (A3S03) are worth the money. BUT, this year, I have no clue. I've had great things about the V710 and great things about the A3S04.

Neither of the new tires should be shaved (there is no tread anyway). If you want to buy old models, the V700 Ecsta is a good tire but a bit finnicky about tire temp and I've seen a few come apart.

Last year, Kumho = cheaper, slower, "long-lasting"
Hoosier = $, faster, 70-80 runs if you're lucky.

This year, ?????
Old 02-05-2004, 05:28 PM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

do you have the light blue lude that was in STS last year?
Old 02-05-2004, 05:33 PM
"Without Limit"

Yep that's me. How's it going?

Quick Reply: Tire Advise, Brands/Type