Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

A couple of questions:

Old 03-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Super Secret Agent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer
Default A couple of questions:

I'm just recently getting into auto-x and I have a few questions for you experienced guy. I'm looking at running some "performance street tires" when I start and the first things that people have suggested to me are Kumho Ecsta Mx's and Falken Azeni's. They both seem like good tires, but the Falkens are the only ones which come in the sizes that I want. I was wondering if anyone else has some suggestions.

Secondly, I'm looking at buying a helmet so I don't have to go through the hassel of always having to borrow from someone. This is the first helmet I saw that seemed to be what I wanted http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/itemde...23&showbrake=1
I'm not trying to break the bank on this (I'm just a kid, and I don't have that much cash), but if any of you experienced guys have other suggestions that'd be great.

Thanks a lot for any feedback.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz
Default Re: A couple of questions:

no other street tire can keep up with the MXs or the azenis.

I run 195/60/14 Azenis and I dropped over 4 seconds per run just by changing the tires. it is the best $200 ive ever spent.

Azenis are the best for the money if you run 14 or 15 inch rims. anything bigger and the prices are better for the MXs.

if you are planning on getting rims as well then check out tire rack. they still might have a special on some Kosie(sp?) wheels with MXs on it. My buddy just put some on his miata and they look great and have plenty of grip.

as far as a helmet go ahead and borrow until you know for sure that you want to continue racing or if you plan on doing any HPDEs this summer.

once the mew Snell2005 helmets come out then buy a new one that way its good for a long time.

also check out e-bay for new helmets. sometimes you find some good full face helmets that are Snell rated for dirt cheap because they have factory blemishes which is usually just a slightly off white or grayish color (usually only noticeable next to a brand new helmet) or like a smudge on the paint that isnt even noticeable.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:56 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

I've had both MX's and Azenis, and I love both. (I had 205/50/15 azenis, 245/40/17 MX's). the MX's are better in the rain. you might want to look at the yokohama avs es100's as well. IMO they're just a notch below the MX's.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

Originally Posted by Carter
I've had both MX's and Azenis, and I love both. (I had azenis on 15's, MX's on my 17s). the MX's are better in the rain. you might want to look at the yokohama avs es100's as well. IMO they're just a notch below the MX's.

The Yokes are way below the MX's. And in the rain the Azenis is a better tire. The reason for this is that the MX is crap at full tread, and need to be shaved (TireRack dose this for $25 per tire). Now these are for Autocross conditions, for Track days either the MX, or Azenis at full tread will be fine.

There are new tires coming to the US but may not be legal by the SCCA rules.

They are: Toyo T1R, Hankook ZS212, Yokohama Advan AD07, and new Falken RT-615 Azenis. To be legal there must be atleast one size available by April 30th.

These are just my oppinions but I won the ODR-SCCA open class in STS (a street tire only class) in 2004, and was 3rd in the same region in 2003 with a STX car (also street tire only)

Michael
Old 03-02-2005, 04:37 PM

xizor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IAm-Topik
Secondly, I'm looking at buying a helmet so I don't have to go through the hassel of always having to borrow from someone. This is the first helmet I saw that seemed to be what I wanted http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/itemde...23&showbrake=1
I'm not trying to break the bank on this (I'm just a kid, and I don't have that much cash), but if any of you experienced guys have other suggestions that'd be great.
I bought my Bell Sport 3 from Opak, I suggest going there in person though. A helmet is something you should try on before ordering. They were also very helpful in choosing between the Sport 3 and the M2 since they were the size price.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

Yeah, OG Racing is relatively close to me, so I'd try on whatever i bought first. Thanks for you feedbacks on the tires guys. I'm think that I'll be going with the Azenis.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz

Originally Posted by vbspec
The Yokes are way below the MX's. And in the rain the Azenis is a better tire. The reason for this is that the MX is crap at full tread, and need to be shaved (TireRack dose this for $25 per tire). Now these are for Autocross conditions, for Track days either the MX, or Azenis at full tread will be fine.

They are: Toyo T1R, Hankook ZS212, Yokohama Advan AD07, and new Falken RT-615 Azenis. To be legal there must be atleast one size available by April 30th.

These are just my oppinions but I won the ODR-SCCA open class in STS (a street tire only class) in 2004, and was 3rd in the same region in 2003 with a STX car (also street tire only)

Michael
listen to the man. his words are like gospel. it where i got my info from.

BTW looks like the new azenis RT-615 will make the cut

http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com...pic.php?t=8202
Old 03-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

original3 has disabled reputation

i personally suggest pzero nero ms's or any other of the pzero tyres....i love them...just recently mounted and its the best tyre ive ever had on my e30
Old 03-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

original3 has disabled reputation

i personally suggest pzero nero ms's or any other of the pzero tyres....i love them...just recently mounted and its the best tyre ive ever had on my e30
Old 03-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

Originally Posted by vbspec

Michael

michael, it seems as i have gone to the dark side also...i just got a 98 honda civic dx...and so far i love it.

Quick Reply: A couple of questions: